Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Craftsman Lawn Tractor tranny problem?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tremblay

Craftsman Lawn Tractor tranny problem?
Original Message   Jun 6, 2005 4:48 pm
I have a Craftsman 19hp Twin Turbo lawn tractor with hydrostatic transmission. Recently, the tractor does not go up hills or at any incline like it used to. When the tractor first starts, it seems to be OK. Then, as it heats up, a high pitched whine emanates from the tractor when I attempt to go uphill. I changed the front motion drive belt, but this had no effect. Sears will charge me $96 just to look at it, and if it is the transaxle, it would probably be better if I bought a new tractor?? Looking for advice...it is a sealed unit, but is it missing some fluid? Thanks for any help.
Replies: 14 - 23 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
dbt55

Re: Craftsman Lawn Tractor tranny problem?
Reply #14   Jul 6, 2006 3:32 pm
i have a sears DLT2000 lawn tractor...also getting a transmission issue as of last week

serviceability does not sound nice if that transaxle is sealed...will be very interested how you make out on that web site

sited as a source for alternate part

this tranny issue seems to be thermal...i let the tractor cool down it will move but when heats up..........it locks up and even using the

release lever on the rear of tractor to try and move...won't release ....tractor is locked...so sounds like fluid somewhere

other ideas also welcome

thx! for everyone's help!!

denmar

Quick fix for some -- Re: Craftsman Lawn Tractor tranny problem?
Reply #15   Mar 10, 2007 4:52 pm
If your hydrostatic transmission is locking up, it's possible that the brake system is malfunctioning when the pedal is pushed.  My Sear DLT 3000 was completely immobile.  It would not even roll when the transmission disengage lever was set.  With the motor running, it would make a ratcheting sound and drag the motor when trying to move forward or back.  I found that the brake lever on the tranny was sticking when the pedal was pressed.  This lever is meant to immobilize the mower as a safety precaution.

Here's a bit more detail:  When the brake pedal is pressed, which you must do to start the machine, a rod is activated that moves a small lever on the right side of the transmission.  This lever was sticking on mine. Even when I reached under & manually released the lever, it stuck again as soon as I pressed the pedal to start. I just cleared a little debri from around the lever and it worked fine. I'll take a little more time now to clean and lubricate the lever.

BTW, I found this fix on another forum and wanted to spread it around in case it is of help.

This message was modified Mar 10, 2007 by denmar
mlupone

Reply #16   May 13, 2007 2:50 pm
I have a 11 HP Toro w/hydrostatic tansmissiont has a tranny issue and was wondering if anyone could help id the problem.  The problem is that the the mower jerks or bucks while driving in gear.  I don't think it's the brake grabbing as it makes a snapping noise when it happens.  The tranny is a sealed unit.  Could it be the transaxle? or is it one unit?  Thanks!
commanche

Reply #17   Sep 6, 2007 9:49 pm
hello all, need help also..

i have 3 yr old craftsman riding mower hydrostatic transaxle.

its lt1000,17.5 hp...

when it is in forward postion i hear a snapping or clicking noise coming from transaxle.

it also slips going up a grade...

in reverse it is fine, no noise or slipping only in forward.

anyone know what is causing this in the teansaxle and how you repaired it?

mower is only 3 yrs old  and sears wants 800 dollars for new tranny and other vendors dont have this tranny in stock..

transaxle no. is 2000-006A made by tecumseh.....

rfbraunjr

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean their not really after you.

Reply #18   Mar 22, 2009 12:24 pm
I too have tranny problems with my Sears DLT 2000.  It has 125 hours on it (which I believe to be really low) and its kaput!  I pulled it off and broke it down and found nothing burnt, broken, galled, or snapped.  Oil was kind of dirty so I soaked everything in a parts washer and cleaned it up.  After everything dried, I re-assembled and filled with new oil.  I think that it needs to have the air bled out of it, but I don't know how to do it.  Has anyone out there purged one of these Hydro Gear units before?

Thnks

Reddawg007
Old55

Reply #19   Aug 1, 2009 5:09 pm
I just bought a new drive belt for my Craftsman 1000, 5 years old. After I dropped the deck and cleaned that, I was on my back staring at the drive belt and system. Dirt was caked into crevices (and there are a lot of them) near the transmission. I used a bamboo skewer for shish kabobs to poke around in there and accumulated quite a pile of dirt. Checking the belt, it didn't seem like it needed replacing. After reattaching the deck, the test drive showed that the caked on dirt was not allowing parts to move where they needed to move. Check that first before doing anything. I don't think you'll really need to even drop the deck.
One more thing... I will now use a leafblower to move the dust and dirt off the mower; no more water that cakes on and compacts the dirt.
Hope this helps because it's sickening to think about dropping hundreds on a new tranny.
mgunny56

Reply #20   Sep 2, 2009 9:41 am
With all I have read about all the problems with this type of tranny.  Is there anyone out there that knows of a way that you can swap this type for an older more reliable type? One guy wrote that he is on his 4th tranny.So getting a new tranny with the same old problem doesn't seem like a solution.
rsmith4420

Reply #21   Oct 14, 2009 2:45 pm
I have a Craftsman LT 1000 (Briggs and Stratton, 42 inch cut) and the trans just crashed. Where is the best place to get a replacement transmission and how do I get the part number to order. Thanks, Randy
friiy

Reply #22   Oct 14, 2009 3:26 pm
The best place to find the part # is at the sear parts webpage....

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.action?intcmp=xsite_Sears

... but the that is one of the most expensive places to get things. Find the part number there, then google the part number and see what you can find.

What is wrong with your transmission? you may be able to repair it, or if it is hydrostatic it may be low on fluid...

Good Luck,

Friiy
cwtdi

Reply #23   Jun 3, 2010 4:18 pm
mlupone wrote:
I have a 11 HP Toro w/hydrostatic tansmissiont has a tranny issue and was wondering if anyone could help id the problem.  The problem is that the the mower jerks or bucks while driving in gear.  I don't think it's the brake grabbing as it makes a snapping noise when it happens.  The tranny is a sealed unit.  Could it be the transaxle? or is it one unit?  Thanks!
These hydro transmissions are shipped with grease in the gear box that stops working after a few years. You need to drill a hole in the top of the transmission and push about 1/3 quart of gear oil in. Then seal the hole. I used metal tape. If the shift lever F-N-R is out of adjustment the tractor will go in and out of gear as you drive. Once it is adjusted you should stay in gear and it will run smoothly. It will leak the gear oil out various unsealed spots until it find the level below these spots. Don't do this if you don't want oil drips on the floor! This dripping should slow / stop after a few days.  
Replies: 14 - 23 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42