Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tecumseh H40 mounting issue

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
70chevrolet

Tecumseh H40 mounting issue
Original Message   Jun 19, 2006 7:25 pm
I am trying to mount an old Techumseh h-40 to an old rupp minibike frame. I have a question regarding the angle at which the motor will sit. It will not be completely level, it will be at a tilt where the carb side will be about an inch or two higher than the opposite side. I am wondering.. does anyone know if this will be a problem as far as oil circulation? There must be a factory spec, as far as what is the highest degree of tilt allowed when mounting these engines. I have searced the web and found nothing. any help would save me a lot of healing.

Thanks in advance

70Chevrolet.

Replies: 2 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
spottedpony

Re: Tecumseh H40 mounting issue
Reply #2   Jun 21, 2006 9:53 am
My initial thoughts are that it shouldnt be a problem, thinking in terms of being on a mower and mowing uneven ground the carb would not always be level, something to consider though, is it possible to modify the forward engine mount to level the engine in the frame? hard to see in the photo but it might be possible to fabricate and weld on a modified mount to raise the front of the engine.

from what i see in the photo also it looks like its going to be very necessary to fab and install a belt/pully guard.
70chevrolet

Reply #3   Jun 21, 2006 5:32 pm
well, today I managed to get a Tecumseh senior service tech on the phone. I was advised that their engines have maximum reccomented mounting angle of 15 degrees. Back in "the day", rupp used to mount them at an angle for whatever reason. However doing this requires a special slant intake, which I would have to make or find a used one someplace, to keep the float bowl level. The reason I wanted to mount at this angle was for clearance issues when using a larger engine than the frame was desinged for. But due to the slant intake issue, along with the fact that I would have to fabricate even more linkage to get the governer working properly, I am just going to cut the frame and re-install the engine mounting plate in more of a level fashon... Thanks Though.

70Chev

70chevrolet

Reply #4   Jul 12, 2006 6:54 pm
update... you can mount the Tec engine at a slant with no issues. no slant intake needed. apparantly, the carb still works when tilted forward. go figure. Rupps were set up for an HS-40. My H-40 is a shoehorn fit, but runs like a raped ape.
mech12

Reply #5   Jul 13, 2006 9:02 am
   i   dont think there is goingto be a carb issue.  you have a diaphragm carb,  these can be ran at any angle.
70chevrolet

Reply #6   Jul 20, 2006 8:04 am
That carb in the picture is not my carb... I have the standard Tec bowl type...In theory, this should not work, but in the real world it works like magic.
Replies: 2 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42