Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Old Wards/Gilson lubricant question...

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
carguy

Old Wards/Gilson lubricant question...
Original Message   Nov 13, 2005 10:51 am
Hi,

I lurked for a while on the old forum and the advice and insight I gained there drove me to buy a Simplicity snowblower a few years back, so a I'd like to throw out a somewhat late but well deserved thanks!

On to my current issue - a coworker gave me an old Montgomery Wards/Gilson 35210B single speed/single stage snowblower that wasn't running. I was able to revive it and now it runs quite well and seems eager to get back in the snowblowing game. My question is about lubricants for the single speed transmission at the rear of the unit and the small gearbox on the R/H (standing behind the machine) side of the auger housing that transfers power from the belt to the auger. Both 'boxes have a phillips head screw as a fill plug (although I haven't quite figured out how to get at the one on the rear gearbox - I guess I'll have to remove the gearbox from the looks of it) and athe from one looks pretty dry in there.

What type of lubricant do the sages here on the forum recommend? Do these simplistic 'boxes use a liquid lube or just some chassis grease?

Any help you can provide would be appreciated as I really want to use this machine for the occasional light snows we get where dragging out the Simp seems silly.

Thanks!

Chris

Replies: 2 - 2 of 2Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
DeltaBravo

Re: Old Wards/Gilson lubricant question...
Reply #2   Jun 14, 2006 5:01 pm
Sounds like the 3.5hp vertical shaft "Fun to Run" MW branded Gilson I have.

I used semi-synthetic grease used to grease auto ball joints, steering arms, etc. I need to do the rear gear box also. Look like a lot of disassembly.

Replies: 2 - 2 of 2Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42