Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Craftsman lt 4000 electric problem

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
deno

Craftsman lt 4000 electric problem
Original Message   May 26, 2006 2:49 pm
My craftsman mower keeps blowing the fuse by the battery everytime I turn the ignition to the on position.

I just bought this mower second hand and have not run it yet. Any Ideas Thanks Deno

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
spottedpony

Re: Craftsman lt 4000 electric problem
Reply #1   May 26, 2006 9:43 pm
Dead short somewhere on the switched side of the ignition switch. since it doesnt blow with the switch off you know circuitry between battery and switch are ok, and since it blows the fuse before you turn the switch to the start position, you know that portion of the circuits are ok.  I'm not familiar with this specific mower but there should be 4 or 5 wires off the ignition switch to the various items the switch supplys, (start circuit, power to ignition circuit, lights, pto etc) it will take some checking with an ohm meter and test light to isolate the problem wire, then trace it and look for bare spots, cracks places where its rubbing against metal that can short it out. you may also be able to remove the wires from the switch one at a time after determining which is the battery wire, then when you disconnect one wire and the fuse doesnt blow, you've isolated the problem conductor.
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42