Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What would cause mower to keep running with safety bar disengaged?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
loudsubz

What would cause mower to keep running with safety bar disengaged?
Original Message   May 9, 2006 10:15 pm
The cable connecting the safety bar to the engine on our basic push mower seized, and the lawnmower would stay on, and the only way to turn it off would be to pull the spark plug cable off (very dangerous).

I replaced the cable tonight and everything works, except when testing the lawnmower still wont shut off. The new cable allows the leaver to move just as much as the old one did, so I know its making full contact.

I notice the engine also makes a slightly different sound when the safety bar is push down and when it is up. The engine seems to run a slight bit faster with the bar engaged, then when I let go it slows down slightly but nothing very obvious.

What area should I look at first?

thanks.

Replies: 4 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarlW

Re: What would cause mower to keep running with safety bar disengaged?
Reply #4   May 23, 2006 8:00 pm
Take a look at the brake arm coming out from the engine. Note if it is moving when you let the safety bar go. The engine stop brake is spring loaded. If it is not moving like it should, you can lubricate it. If that doesn't work, you will have to replace it. Your kill switch is part of the brake assembly. Good luck, Carlw
loudsubz

Re: What would cause mower to keep running with safety bar disengaged?
Reply #5   May 23, 2006 10:13 pm
thanks to all those that responded.

I noticed the switch was a little coroded inside, so I put some MG Chemicals Nu-Trol control cleaner on the switch and moved it back and forth. Everything seems to be running fine now, and the mower operates 100%.

Things are looking up for the tecumseh lol

Replies: 4 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42