Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Considering Stihl MM-55 Yard Boss...any opinions?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Coach

Considering Stihl MM-55 Yard Boss...any opinions?
Original Message   Apr 23, 2006 12:23 am
I am considering buying the Stihl MM-55 Yard Boss for some mild tilling, sweeping, lawn de-thatching and aeration. I have a busy schedule and thought this tool with some additional attachments might be convenient. Do any of you own tis or have heard/read any reviews on this product? My main concern is if it is strong enough HP wise to get the job done? I live in central California where we have a sand-clay mixture which can be tough at times. Any comments?
Thanks
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Kcav

Re: Considering Stihl MM-55 Yard Boss...any opinions?
Reply #1   Sep 14, 2006 1:17 pm
                       I bought the MM-55 in April '06. I wanted to plant grass under overgrown hedges and cut back branches that were 4' to 5' long. The ground had never been broken up before and was hard packed northern New Jersey soil. I hosed down the area a couple of times and let it soak in to soften it. I waited long enough so I would not be throwing mud all over, the soil was just moist. With a couple of passes on the area (about 20' by 6') using a little pressure, after all it is a light weight machine, I was able to break up the ground enough to mix in peat and manure. I spread some seed and a little TLC later I had grass. For me this was big, I've never grown grass before. I plan to buy the thatcher attachment because most of my lawn is zoysia and it makes a lot of thatch. I found the machine to be light, easy to maneuvre and powerful enough to do the job. The handles give a good grip and the controls are easy to use. Mine came with a wheel kit ( a promo ) which I found very useful. Of course it does not have the weight and power of a big tiller, but it is not as expensive and stores in less space. You could hang it on the wall. Plus it can be used for more than one purpose. It was $330 at my local Stihl dealer. I really like it and am very satisfied with it. I hope this helps, good luck.
tebe

Re: Considering Stihl MM-55 Yard Boss...any opinions?
Reply #2   May 5, 2010 1:01 pm
I PURCHASED MY MM55  4 YEARS AGO BUT HAVE ONLY USED IT MAYBE 10 TIMES (MAX OF 4-5 HOURS) TOTAL. SUDDENLY THE 'DRIVE' PORTION BROKE DOWN. i CONTACTED STIHL CO. AND THEY URGED ME TO TAKE IT TO THE

PLACE WHERE I BOUGHT IT. FROM THE ONSET, THE MANAGER WAS DEFENSIVE, HOSTILE AND ACCUSED ME OF MISHANDLING THIS MACHINE, CLAIMING THAT I MUST HAVE HIT A ROCK, ROOT, OR SOMETHING ELSE AND

FURTHERMORE HE SAID THE MACHINE WAS NO LONGER UNDER WARRANTY. ALL I DID WAS TO SCRATCH THE SURFACE OF SEVERAL  BARE PATCHES OF GRASS. IF THIS MACHINE IS ONLY CAPABLE TO STIR UP PLAYSAND

OR TOPSOIL, THEN I WASTED MY MONEY ON WHAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A SUPERIOR NAME BRAND SUCH AS STIHL. AT THIS WRITING, THE MM55 IS STILL AT THE DEALER. STIHL COMPANY MADE ME BELIEVE THAT THEY

WOULD MAKE GOOD ON THIS ISSUE, BY TELLING ME TO TAKE THE UNIT BACK TO THE DEALER. INSTEAD, THE DEALER IS DEMANDING $40 'JUST TO LOOK AT IT' WHICH I REFUSE TO PAY. THAT'S LIKE THROWING GOOD MONEY

AFTER BAD. WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS MACHINE? OR ANY OTHER STIHL PRODUCT? NOT ON YOUR LIFE!  

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42