Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Used my new to me Honda hr215 today and did complete tune-up

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
rosscopeeko

Used my new to me Honda hr215 today and did complete tune-up
Original Message   Apr 20, 2006 1:34 am
I posted earlier that i had bought a used 91 hr215.  Today i went through the entire machine and used it for the first time.  It had double mulching blades on it.  I cleaned the air filter, changed the plug, completely drained and changed the oil with Chevron Delo 15w40.  It started first pull but i noticed 2 things.  It surges a little rpm wise.  It also wouldn't shut down when i turned the throttle to stop.  I related this too cable stretch and tried to adjust it a little but it's still not right.  Now when i have to shut it down i push the throttle lever all the way back to Off, then forward a little and it dies.  One other thing i noticed is that with the double blades on it, it is very tough on the blade clutch.  I actually had it slip on me and wouldn't engage once, but i guess the lawn was long and it wasn't baggin all that well with that blade and it was gumming up.  For the front lawn i changed it out to the regular bagging blade and it worked much better.  The blade clutch had no problem with this blade and the motor ran pretty good. 

In relation to my throttle problem, i'm not sure my hr215 is running at the right rpms.  If i push the throttle past high into the choke area it revs higher and sounds smooth, not like it's running rich when the choke's engaged.  I'm wondering if i need to fine tune that throttle cable??  Wish i knew what rpm it was supposed to run at high throttle setting.

Future plans (within a month) are to drain the oil again and probably go with a synthetic mobil 1 10w30, and change the hydrostatic tranny oil.  I had the tranny cover off today and noticed there is what looks like a black fill cap and also a little screw just in front of that (10mm) that i figure is a drain bolt.  I'm going to drain all fluids on my next tune-up and then drain this tranny by tipping the mower upside down and letting it drain.  Has anyone ever changed their hydrostatic tranny oil before?  Sorry for all the questions, just trying to make my new mower last for years and years.  New mower and new house for a first time owner, well both used, but i take pride in my stuff.  Thanks,

Mike

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
mech12

Re: Used my new to me Honda hr215 today and did complete tune-up
Reply #1   Apr 20, 2006 11:22 am
  for the surging     check the carb      on one side on the top of carb there is a black plastic restrictor.,   this need to be CAREFULLY pried up.   make sure not to lose rubber o-ring with the restrictor.  use carb spray and clean, blow with air hose.    spray and blow cleaner into carb.
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42