Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Converting to Electronic Ignition on old lawn tractor???

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jrb7911

Converting to Electronic Ignition on old lawn tractor???
Original Message   Apr 13, 2006 3:04 pm
What is involved in changing my from a magneto, points, & condenser to and electronic ignition? I have an old antique lawn tractor, 18 horse, that I can't get a spark out of. Long story short, family tractor handed down brother to brother, to many hands worked on it. No one wants it, no spark. So I'm thinking of changing to an electornic ignition? Any advice before I begin? Would it require a new flywheel?

Thanks

John

Replies: 2 - 3 of 3Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
jrb7911

Re: Converting to Electronic Ignition on old lawn tractor???
Reply #2   Apr 14, 2006 9:43 am
Marty     

Thanks for responding. Its a Craftsman Lawn Tractor. Engine codes are: (Briggs & Stratton) Model 325431, Type 0139-01, Code 7207181. I was told at the local parts store that to use the electronic magneto that the flywheel would have to be sent back to B&S and have the polarity reversed on it. But then this is the same guy that sold the wrong magneto in the first place.

mech12

Re: Converting to Electronic Ignition on old lawn tractor???
Reply #3   Apr 20, 2006 11:36 am
    on this engine  i dont believe its possible.  looks like the plunger for the points is ran off the camshaft.  your ignition coil number is 298968  about 40.00.   it does not supercede to anyhting else.   there is a magnetron kit available  to upgrade you system to electronic.   briggs parts number  is 394970.  hope this helps
Replies: 2 - 3 of 3Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42