Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Murray 21741A RWD Transmission

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jsc2

Murray 21741A RWD Transmission
Original Message   Mar 20, 2006 1:41 pm
I recently recived this walk-behind mower from a neighhbor and, thanks to the info on the board, was able to get the engine running.  However, the RWD power drive doesn't work.

This mower has a cable-activated RWD transmission, which is supposed to pull a lever on the transmission to engage the power drive.  However, when I squeeze the control to engage the power drive, the lever on the transmission barely moves (i.e. the cable does not pull the lever enough to engage).  I can get the transmission to work by forcing the lever on the transmission to move with a screwdriver, so it is capable of working.  I have tried adjusting the trim dial for the cable housing without success.

Can anyone tell me:

1.  Are there any adjustments I can make on the transmission?

2.  Are there any replacement transmissions available?  I believe the Murray part no. is 071549

3.  Am I better off just taking off the pinion gears and using this as a push mower?

4.  Any other ideas?

I don't have the manuals, but I believe its a 1996 model.  Thanks in advance.
Replies: 6 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
jsc2

Re: Murray 21741A RWD Transmission
Reply #6   Mar 22, 2006 1:29 pm
 Believe it or not, I was on my way to the local Home Depot to buy a new mower when the neighbor offered the mower.  The decision between dropping $300 for the new mower or taking the old mower was pretty easy.   I just wish I knew about the transmission from the start, but since the engine wasn't running when I got it.

At this point, I'll probably re-route the cable or try to devise a new clamp for the cable end at the transmission to remove as much slack as possible.  Thanks for the sage advice and insight.
Replies: 6 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42