Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Murray 21741A RWD Transmission

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jsc2

Murray 21741A RWD Transmission
Original Message   Mar 20, 2006 1:41 pm
I recently recived this walk-behind mower from a neighhbor and, thanks to the info on the board, was able to get the engine running.  However, the RWD power drive doesn't work.

This mower has a cable-activated RWD transmission, which is supposed to pull a lever on the transmission to engage the power drive.  However, when I squeeze the control to engage the power drive, the lever on the transmission barely moves (i.e. the cable does not pull the lever enough to engage).  I can get the transmission to work by forcing the lever on the transmission to move with a screwdriver, so it is capable of working.  I have tried adjusting the trim dial for the cable housing without success.

Can anyone tell me:

1.  Are there any adjustments I can make on the transmission?

2.  Are there any replacement transmissions available?  I believe the Murray part no. is 071549

3.  Am I better off just taking off the pinion gears and using this as a push mower?

4.  Any other ideas?

I don't have the manuals, but I believe its a 1996 model.  Thanks in advance.
Replies: 2 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
jsc2

Re: Murray 21741A RWD Transmission
Reply #2   Mar 21, 2006 12:37 pm
At this point, I'm resigned to the fact that it probably is the cable although I'm not thrilled in investing another $19 into the mower.  Thanks for the input.
Majorxlr8n

Reply #3   Mar 21, 2006 7:42 pm
I'm confused - you won't spend $19 on a cable yet you ask about replacement transmissions. How much do you think THOSE cost????

Marty

jsc2

Reply #4   Mar 21, 2006 8:53 pm
I don't mean to sound like an ingrate for your advice--to the contrary, I very much appreciate your observations.  At the time I posted my original message, I wasn't able to determine the price of a replacement transmission.  Since then, I found out a transmission cost $100.  The mower isn't worth more than about $50 to $75 and I've already invested about $35 to get the mower running (carb overhaul kit, fuel lines, spark plug, air filter, cleaner, fluids, new blade).  I don't see the value investing in a new cable let alone a new transmission.  There simply isn't enough return on the investment.   Again, thanks for your input.
Majorxlr8n

Reply #5   Mar 21, 2006 11:41 pm
JSC - Granted the mower may not be worth much, but purchasing a new self propelled machine will cost at least $200 new. I understand not wanting to dump more money into it, but for a fraction of the cost of a new mower, getting the cable situation straightened out might be worth another look. If you find that the cable is too slack, there are cheaper options if you want to dig a little further. If the cable IS pulling out of the housing on the transmission, use a small hose clamp to secure it. In fact, a hose clamp could also be used to secure the cable further down on the lever once the slack is taken out. This might take up enough slack to make the cable usable, and only set you back a dollar!

Then again, new equipment is always nice!

Your call JSC - best of luck with whatever you decide...

Marty

jsc2

Reply #6   Mar 22, 2006 1:29 pm
 Believe it or not, I was on my way to the local Home Depot to buy a new mower when the neighbor offered the mower.  The decision between dropping $300 for the new mower or taking the old mower was pretty easy.   I just wish I knew about the transmission from the start, but since the engine wasn't running when I got it.

At this point, I'll probably re-route the cable or try to devise a new clamp for the cable end at the transmission to remove as much slack as possible.  Thanks for the sage advice and insight.
Replies: 2 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42