Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Buying used Honda mower, need some help and advice

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
rosscopeeko

Buying used Honda mower, need some help and advice
Original Message   Mar 18, 2006 5:49 pm
Hey guys, this is my first post.  I came accross this forum just by chance after trying to research Honda mowers.  This forum looks great for a new or long time homeowner.  I just bought my first house so i'm in need of a lawnmower.  My dad has a trusty old Honda Mower which must be 20 years old now and still runs like a champ.  It's the self propelled version with the blade clutch etc.  Anyways, i went to a local dealer to price out honda mowers and they are way out of my reach new.  The dealer showed me a relatively cheap honda mower (approx. $700 Canadian) and said i could expect a good 8 years out of it.  He has a couple of HR215 models that are discontinued with the higher grade engine that are $1300 Can.  He said my dad's mower has the same engine as the HR215 and that this engine is a 20 year engine with maintenance of course.  He said that the only way you can get this higher grade engine is buy a commercial honda mower, or find a leftover hr215.

Well i've been going through our local buy and sell papers and have found a few hr216 and hrc216 mowers for sale.  Do these have the good engine?  Am i looking for the 5.5 hp engine?  I'm relatively good with mechanics and should be able to tell if they are in good shape by looking at them.  Any tell tale signs of which motor is the better model just by looking at the mower?  Anything i should look for in terms of potential problems with the drive system or overal mechanical condition?  Buying a used mower sounds like crazy idea, but i'm thinking about how reliable my dad's honda has been.  If i can get one that's been used for 2 years, then buy it used and save half of what it costs new, and then run it for another 15 years i'd be laughing.  Thanks for the read guys.

Mike

Replies: 6 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
SnowPro

Re: Buying used Honda mower, need some help and advice
Reply #6   Mar 20, 2006 2:34 pm
I think that a used Honda is usually a good buy.  People that spend that much on a piece of equipment usually take better care of it than someone that buys a low buck machine.  They tend to hold their prices, but you are buying a quality piece of equipment.

Rosscopeeko:  Where in Canada are you?  Actually, I have a Honda mower that I acquired last year (from a homeowner) that I have no real use for.  It is self propelled ( not hydro) and has bag and mulch plug.  It has the Zenoy (plastic) deck.  Was $1300.00 new.  He gave me the papers too.  I got it in trade from a client.  It runs like a new one.  I run commercial Lawnboys and Toros, so, it really isn't for me.

Ken

newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #7   Mar 21, 2006 3:29 pm
"Mike - I looked up & could not find a hrc216 Honda mower - maybe its exclusively a Canadian model?Mike - I looked up & could not find a hrc216 Honda mower - maybe its exclusively a Canadian model?"

Hi Marty!

I am sure Honda makes one because I just noticed one sitting in my garage waiting for Spring to arrive. lol

Hi Mike: 

Mine is a 2004 model. It is rated as a commercial machine. I paid $1100 (US) with optional mulching blade and side discharge chute.

The Honda engine has a lot of torque.(8 ft pounds) My old Craftsman Eager-1 was rated at more HP but bogged down when I ran into Japanese Cherry tree blossoms. The 5.5HP Honda doesn't  flinch even in heavy wet grass.

The only drawback may be the hydrostatic trans. My groundspeed seems to be slowing down a bit from when I first bought the machine. While it is still in warranty I will have the dealer check it out. A commercial hydro trans  will cost you hundreds to repair if you need a new one.  

Another negative is it's weight at 120 pounds. The 2004 models have 9" steel wheels with ball bearings on all 4 wheels. The newer models have gone to plastic wheels. Also, there is no height adjustment for the handle. The bag is real easy to remove as opposed to the Toro pro which is one of the reasons I chose this mower.

You never can tell why someone may sell a 2 year old mower. I was thinking of selling mine when I eventually move to PA as my property is too large for a 21" mower. It may be good as a spare but the lawn will take all day to cut. I may need a spare tractor.

rosscopeeko

Reply #8   Mar 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Thanks for all the help guys.  Well i'm still looking for a good used mower.  Thanks for the help with the engine codes.  Ken, i'm in Kamloops, BC.  I'm not sure what shipping would cost from Ontario?  What do you want for it?  Anyways, i'm going to keep looking.  Need to find one quick before the grass really starts to grow.  Thanks again.
Replies: 6 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42