Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > trimmers

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
oakville

trimmers
Original Message   Mar 14, 2006 4:08 pm
well, that winter sucked.  i don't even have 2 hours run time on my new 926DLE.  what a waste.

so it's time to look at lawn equipment again.  I was looking at electric trimmers, but then remembered that i hate cords.  thought about rechargeable, but i'd never remember to charge it before i needed it.  I've got a gas mower and a gas blower, why not a gas trimmer.  Then i remembered that i hate premixing.  Does anyone have a nice lightweight, cheap, reliable trimmer that is either 4 stroke or oil injected that they would recommend?

if it's gotta be premixed, any advice/suggestions?

Replies: 2 - 11 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Loudpedal

Husqvarna 8527SBE

Re: trimmers
Reply #2   Mar 15, 2006 10:04 am
Oakville, I'm looking for a 4 stroke trimmer as well.  

Canadian Tire has a Troy-Bilt one for $299.  However, I'm wondering if I hate mixing gas and oil enough to justify the price.   I could go thru several $99 Weed Eaters for the price of a 4 stroke.  

Bacardi

Reply #3   Mar 15, 2006 5:16 pm
Honda makes 4 stroke trimmers, and they are running their annual sale on one model. However, while it will likely be reliable, it won't be cheap, even on sale.
oakville

Reply #4   Mar 16, 2006 12:02 pm
Loudpedal wrote:
Oakville, I'm looking for a 4 stroke trimmer as well.  

Canadian Tire has a Troy-Bilt one for $299.  However, I'm wondering if I hate mixing gas and oil enough to justify the price.   I could go thru several $99 Weed Eaters for the price of a 4 stroke.  

i'm thinking the same thing.

how good are the $99 weedeaters?

oakville

Reply #5   Mar 16, 2006 1:01 pm
what are the advantages/disadvantages of curved vs straight shafts?
mech12

Reply #6   Mar 16, 2006 1:39 pm
  you fuel ratio on new trimmers should be 50/1.  there is no reason you cant run the mixed fuel in the other units.
oakville

Reply #7   Mar 16, 2006 1:42 pm
why would i want to run 50:1 in my 4 stroke mower or my new 926DLE?
mech12

Reply #8   Mar 16, 2006 2:55 pm
sounded like you didnt want to mix fuel because you had nothing else to run it in.
oakville

Reply #9   Mar 16, 2006 3:57 pm
true.  but won't mixed fuel gum up the mower/blower?

looking at the pricing, i'm beginning to think a $139 weedeater 2 stroke might be worth a 2nd fuel can (guess i can just use a small 2L can and fill it from my main can).

Anyone know where i can find 2 cycle oil in very small container sizes (20mL or 40mL?)

nibbler

Reply #10   Mar 16, 2006 5:49 pm
The smallest that I've seen is 50ml which is 40:1, won't hurt but why use mor than you need? I use a 4.5L container that I fill to 4L and then empty a 100ml into it. I then decant from a larger 1L container. Sounds more complicated than it is. Throw in some Stabil or Pri-G and you're done.
Bacardi

Reply #11   Mar 16, 2006 5:56 pm
oakville wrote:
i'm thinking the same thing.

how good are the $99 weedeaters?

I've had a Weedeater for over 12 years, and the thing won't die. The handle has broken on it, and I replaced it with one my son found in the garbage.

I was waiting for its motor to croak so I could get a gas one, but with so little maintenance to do on it, I think I might get another electric, when it decides to go to trimmer heaven.

The cord is a nuisance to put out and roll up, but if you don't have a large yard as I do, I can live with it.

Looking at Cdn tire, they have the B&D model which converts to an edger for $69. Wait a while as they might have it on sale as they often do. I saw the same one in a Quebec Cdn tire for $59.

Replies: 2 - 11 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42