Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Looking for Best Rider for the Money

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
rwbangor

Looking for Best Rider for the Money
Original Message   Jun 15, 2005 11:40 pm
Hi All......I've read the forum for sometime but am a newbie to posting here.  I trust your judgements and am in need of some sound advice on the purchase of a new lawn tractor.   My 17 year old Snapper RER ( 33" cut with 11 hp B&S I/C) has finally died and I refuse to "revive" it again (sorry Marshall).  It has served me well but in recent years I have asked it to do things it wasn't designed to do.

I have looked at a number of riders in the $2,000 range (plus the cost of a bagger since I prefer to bag my clippings and leaves).  I have about 1-1 1/2 acres of ground to cut with about half of it being quite hilly.  I have enough obstacles to warrant only a 42" cut.    I have looked at the L118 John Deere as well as the Sears DYT 4000 (model 27568).  Don't care for the Deere bagging system (very cheap),  I also have some reservations about a pedal drive machine versus a fender mount drive system since I spend a far amount of time on the edge of the seat.  I also worry about the reliability of the Sears model. 

Are there other riders out ther that anyone recommends over these?  What if I were to spend $2,500 or $3,000.  Is the Deere LT series a better bang for the buck.  Don't want to spend anymore than $3,000.

I need a reliable machine that will service me for years with minimal repairs.  Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Richard

Replies: 2 - 2 of 2Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
micharms

Re: Looking for Best Rider for the Money
Reply #2   Mar 12, 2006 1:17 am
I would definitely STAY AWAY from DEERE with the INTEK BS engine on the L100. I just had one blow up after only 2.5 years of use. I am on only a 1/3 acre. Plus I was doing a second 1/4 acre yard down the street and of course the warranty is only 2 years. It will be too costly to repair so I went with the Cub Cadet with the Kohler Engine.
Replies: 2 - 2 of 2Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42