Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Skid shoe and scraper bar adjustment

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
navihawk

Skid shoe and scraper bar adjustment
Original Message   Jan 7, 2005 8:01 pm
Everyone should check their alignments on the machines.I dropped the skids down 1/4 inch on the fly during the storm because it was bouncing.When I was wiping the blower down I noticed the scraper bar was crooked.This also caused it to pull to the right when I was operating it.Readjusted and it is fine now.
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
robmints

Re: Skid shoe and scraper bar adjustment
Reply #1   Jan 7, 2005 8:43 pm
I love your stars.

A scraper bar dragging can be a PITA. I keep mine real low and it can hit in one part of the drive. It's kind of a sharp edge and stops the machine. Kind of like hitting an expansion jiont with a shovel when you don't expect it. It hits a guy in just the wrong spot sometimes.
navihawk

Reply #2   Jan 7, 2005 9:20 pm
Hey Mints,Your post just made me think I should raise my scraper a bit.My augers are about 1/2 inck off the deck and I adjusted the bar to the floor.Maybe I should raise it about 1/8 of an inch.The right of way is going on 100 years old.
Cajunblu

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Reply #3   Jan 8, 2005 2:26 am
These are the the new skid shoes I had made, have the scraper bar set 1/8" off the ground been out in two storms approx. 5" each time blowing over smooth sidewalks and they seam to want to ride up on the snow and leave between 1 and 2 inches of snow. I have too go over the same area several times and it's still not doing a good job. Last year I didn't have this problem with the old shoes, is there anything I can do besides lowering the scraper bar to the pavement (pics taken on pavement) I do a lot of pavement...And we're getting another 4 to 8 inches today.

Robert

This message was modified Jan 8, 2005 by Cajunblu

Craftsman 888531 9/28 Easy Steer.

"My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles,
and the letters get in the wrong places"

Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #4   Jan 8, 2005 9:40 am
Cajunblue,

I'm having exactly the same problem as you are with the ski type skids I made and haven't been able to adequately clear my driveway. Because I have gravel I need to leave at least 3/4" of clearance. I have ordered a new set of the stock skids. I think they will have less tendency to ride up on the snow. I made the other skids because I thought the stock skids would tend to dig into the gravel. I'll just need to experiment. Once there is a frozen base, I don't think there will be a problem with the stock skids.

Jonathan

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
jubol

Reply #5   Jan 8, 2005 2:19 pm
CJ and Jonathon,

I have "Skis" also, but do not have your problem. When I welded mine, I welded them at a slight angle, so they ride on the outer edge on hard surfaces.

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Emmo

Reply #6   Jan 8, 2005 3:23 pm
How about fabricating another set only half as wide as the current ones?
Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Reply #7   Jan 8, 2005 5:30 pm
Cajunblu, Lowering you scraper may help a little, however the front angle and width appear to be what is going to make it ride up regardless. You mentioned that you are usually blowing 4-5 inches on smooth pavement. If you are not concerned about gravel digging you may want to try much narrower skids (more surface area x constant weight=less force downward/square inch) (that is why snowshoes keep people up on top of the snow) If you are doing the blowing as a contractor, a single stage in 4"-5" would be a lot easier than 2-3 passes with a two stage. Hope this helps, Walt
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #8   Jan 9, 2005 8:50 am
Jubol,

I recall you mentioning welding the skids at an angle, but mine aren't. Maybe should have done that. Yesterday we had 4-5" and I adjusted the skids to 1/2". I picked up a bit of gravel in only one spot; EOD. I think the snow, sleet, and freezing rain from the previous storm created a base. The irony here is that I shouldn't have gravel on the drive in the first place. I had ordered "crusher run" which packs down nicely almost like concrete. The gravel was spread while I was at work. I could have had it scraped up, I suppose, but I think I will be ordering a load of crusher run in the spring to put on top of it.

Jonathan

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
jubol

Reply #9   Jan 9, 2005 8:58 am
Jonathon,

With a good base of gravel down for a year. Then crush/ run again over top of the gravel should work out very well for you!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42