Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Craftsman snow bower..need help..

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Gerrysr

Craftsman snow bower..need help..
Original Message   Mar 11, 2006 12:54 pm
Hi...someone help please!! I have a Craftsman duel stage 11 H P 31 inch snowblower model C950-52131-1 if thats any help. The auger belt snapped and I'm in the process of replacing it. I have followed the instructions in the manual but for the life of me cannot get it on.Not in the way they describe to do it.Is there an easy way to get this on or will I have to remove the pulley all together.Any help would be very welcome as the frustration mounts...Thanks..
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Majorxlr8n

Re: Craftsman snow bower..need help..
Reply #1   Mar 11, 2006 8:26 pm
Since that is a Canadian model, I cannot reference it. However, if the front auger bucket can be unbolted from the tractor, split the 2 (or just loosen the bolts enough to get the 2 halves apart about an inch) & the belt should go right on. I usually use a wooden dowel to shove it between the pulleys - I have not had any problems with customer machines doing it this way - it does NOT harm the belt...

Marty

nibbler

Reply #2   Mar 12, 2006 9:02 pm
Before starting this procedure make sure the "iginition" key is out, the throttle is in the off position and the spark plug is disconnected. I also like to put a 2x4 into the discharge chute so that the impeller will jam if something unexpected happens. All directions ( left right, front back) are from the point of view of someone staning at the control handles looking toward the auger.

The procedure that I follow is as follows.

1. Put some packing (2x6s are good) under the traction system between the wheels so the wheels are off the ground;
2. Take off the plastic cowling at the front of the engine that covers up the pulleys and belts;
3. Loosen the bolt on the idler wheel for the auger belt
4. Use  a heavy screwdriver  and place it under the auger belt so that it gets caught between the belt and the pulley when you slowly pull the starter cord
5. Lever the belt so that it is over the lip of the pulley and then continue to pull the starter cord until the belt is off
6. Use a ratchet cargo strap to connect the auger housing to the handles, looping the strap around the auger clutch leaver and hooking onto the auger housing., The clutch should be engaged;
7. Keep the strap loose so you can let the two halves come apart but tie it so the havles don't fall open;
8. Remove the bolts ( I've got two on my machine), this should allow the auger housing and traction housing to hinge open;
9 Untie the strap and let the halves slowly open
10. Fiddle around and get the old belt off the large pulley at the back of the auger housing;
11. Fiddle around and get the new belt onto the auger housing pulley;
12.  Use a twist tie to hold form a small loop in the belt so that the belt is held ont the pulley and doesn't hand out the sides;
13. Using the ratchet pull the halves together until the bolt holes line up. This is where having the clutch engaged helps since the clutch lever will clear the housing more easily
14. Put the bolts removed in  step 8 back in and tighten;
15.Undo the twist tie and start putting the belt back on the engine pulley. Start on the left side of the pulley, when the belt goes tight pull the manual starter and the belt should goe onto the pulley;
16. Adjust the belt tension by moving the idler pulley as necessary and then tightening the bolt.
17. Put the plasitc cowling back on.

Once you have used the blower or at least run the auger for about  15 minutes check the belt tension.
Gerrysr

Reply #3   Mar 13, 2006 12:59 pm
Thanks for the help guys....followed the suggestions and everything worked out great...Blower seems to be working better than it ever was...again...many thanks...
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42