Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tecumseh Stalls after 30 min

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mpmagoo1

Tecumseh Stalls after 30 min
Original Message   Feb 20, 2006 3:00 pm
Hello all, long time reader first time poster and such.

I'm having a problem with my fathers snowblower, it's a 3 yaer old mtd(I know) with a 10 hp Tecumseh L-head engine. It will run fine for about 30 to 40 minutes then it will start surging and stall. It won't start again until it's sat for an hour or two. I'm assuming it's cooling down. I changed the oil and the plug and it seems to run great right until it stalls. It does it in all temps and in both powder conditions or heavy slush snow.

Any ideas on why it's doing this? Thanks in advance.

Matt

Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Noreaster2003

Re: Tecumseh Stalls after 30 min
Reply #1   Feb 20, 2006 3:17 pm
I am not a professional but there are a few things you may want to look at, deping on your skill level.  First it may be overheating, with the motor running feel for air blowing out the motor oppisite the pull starter side neer the head.  I have seen a few machines that a mouse made a home in the starter cover and when the unit was started the home got blown into the cooling heat sinks and blocked all air flow.  The bummer about this is sometime in order to remove all the covers, you have to remove the head bolts.  If there is air blowing out of the motor my next guess is to have the carb cleaned, Does the unit idle fine?  the low speed may be lean from old gas gumming it up.

Give those a shot, but hopefully someone that does this for a living can correct me and/or update you with more ideas. 

mech12

Reply #2   Feb 20, 2006 3:34 pm
  my teacher at school  had a saying  K.I.S.S  keep it simple stupid.  i have learned over time to start with the simplist of fixes.  plus i know tecumseh has problems with the gas cap not venting.  check this nest time   chris
jubol

Reply #3   Feb 20, 2006 3:35 pm
MPM,

Try it with the fuel cap loose!!

Some times the vent gets clogged and no air gets to the fuel tank.

Then, no fuel to the Engine!!

Engine then dies!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Majorxlr8n

Reply #4   Feb 20, 2006 5:43 pm
DEFINITELY check the fuel cap first - when the engine begins to stall, loosen it & see if it recovers. If so replace the cap. If the engine stalls anyway, pull the spark plug. Reconnect the wire to it & place it on the engine (a metal ground). Pull the rope & see if you have spark. If not, your coil may be defective...

Marty

Noreaster2003

Reply #5   Feb 21, 2006 5:49 am
Guess i forgot the fuel cap.  Out of all the weird stuff i have ran into, i havent seen a clogged fuel tank vent but it does make a ton of sense.

Just curious, which years or series of tecs have the "known fuel cap issue"?

Thanks, Jason

mpmagoo1

Reply #6   Feb 21, 2006 7:37 am
I'll try the gas cap thing.  I doubt it's bad gas. The machine has had 15-20 tanks of gas run through it this year, being that we live just north of Syracuse, we get a lot of snow.

I assumed that if the coil was bad, it wouldn't spark correctly at all. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll update after the next storm.

mech12

Reply #7   Feb 21, 2006 10:53 am
  tecumseh's fuel caps had a metal disc in them as you look at the inside. there were some problems with this disc coming off and blocking the fuel outlet of tank.  they redesigned them now. these actually are really bad.  as you look at the cap now there is a piece of rubber just pressed into the cap,  the fall and you get the vacuum problem.  this redesign started about 2 yrs ago.
mrworkwood

Re: Tecumseh Stalls after 30 min - Mine is Brand-New and did the same thing until.....
Reply #8   Feb 23, 2006 7:41 pm
I purchased a new Ariens 926LE at the end of January. This unit has the Tecumseh LH318SA Snow King engine. After having assembled it according to the instructions, I started it up and ran it through a typical post-assembly test run. I ran the engine for about ten minutes and It ran beautifully - idle, top speed, it didn't matter. All was well. Now, I would eagerly await a good snow storm to put my new toy to the test. Last week, my wish came true. We had about 14 inches of dry powder here in Northeast Massachusetts. I fired the unit up and within 10 minutes and having barely finished the driveway, it starded to intermittantly sputter and than shut down. I restarted and again, after throttling up, it inexplicably shut down. I was not able to get it to run long enough to make it back to the garage. The next day, being somewhat engine savy, I decided to try a few things before any consideration would be given to loading the beast into my truck to bring it in for warranty work. Something I dreaded since I do not have ramps nor the time. The first thing I did was to confirm that I had fuel - I did. I than disconnected the fuel lines and checked for proper flow. A-OK. Next, I dropped the float bowl and confirmed that I did not have a perforated float. Inspecting it through the clear glass of a drinking cup full of gasoline, the float functioned properly. I next unscrewed the carburator jet and everything looked great. I had considered the fact that I might just find some foreign substance that may have been overlooked or lodged during the manufacturing process. Everything looked clear & clean. After all of this diagnostic meandering, I put the parts back together and started her up. It ran like a charm. After confirming proper function and feeling quite relieved, I reinstalled the engine shield and rolled it back into the garage. I proudly declared to my brother that "I had fixed the new snowblower and that we would not have to bring it in." 3 days later while working in the yard, I decided to start our new snow blower just to kind of play-around with my new toy.  One pull of the handle and the unit started up. Sounded a little rough though. I allowed it to warm up and than began to increase the throttle and, oh rats, it died. I started it again and it died, I tried increasing the throttle slowly and no luck - quickly, the same. Our brand-new Ariens 926LE all of a sudden didn't work again.

This morning, I decided to put in a call into Ariens Customer Service before rallying some of my neighbors for the hernia-inducing effort of loading it into the back of my truck. After discussing the situation with "Linda", she asked me to take a look at the area where the Chute Deflector Cable (#06900018) is attached to the engine with the Cushioned Clamp. She did not go into details but just suggested that I look there to make sure that the cable was not somehow interfering with something or other. I told her that I would do that and If I didn't see anything interesting that I would call her back for a list of local dealers who would be willing to do warranty work on a Home Depot purchased unit.

Upon first observing the cable and cushioned clamp, I was a bit stumped as to why Linda would have considered any opportunity for this particular area to be of any concern. Things looked quite simple and the cable, in no way could have physically interfered with the carburation or throttle linkage. Ummmm,  I thought. Upon closer inspection however, I noticed that the Chute Deflector Cable had some chafing on it just around where it meets the cushioned clamp. Looking closely, I could see a bit of the steel inner winding of the cable that had been exposed from the chafing. I than noted that the chafing had been caused by the cable rubbing against the electrical connector running from the key assembly to the primary electrical connection. The green wire from the key assembly is simple pigtail plugged into a male connector extension. No insulation, no rubber housing, no protection for the poor Chute Deflector Cable sheath!!!  I pulled the cable back toward the rear of the unit thus clearing the bend away from the exposed electrical connector and eureka. IT WORKED! The exposed electrical connecter had worn away the plastic sheath of the cable enough to expose the steel core of the cable thus grounding out the engine. This is exactly how the push-in key works to prevent someone from starting the unit when the key is not in it. Removal of the key grounds the engine electrically. So the chafed cable did a very efficient job of preventing the engine from running. Except that with the vibration from the engine, the cable core would only make contact with the electrical contact intermittantly which made it appear like a fuel and or carburation type issue.

I promptly called Ariens customer service and enlightened them to my findings. After some prodding, the gentleman confirmed that the company has received a few reports of this having happened on other units. I believe that this issue is probably occuring on many of the units! I asked if he might suggest some Ariens approved fix for the situation and he pretty much stated that I should just come up with some method to prevent the cable from rubbing up against the exposed starter key electrical connector. He confirmed also, that he would bring the issue up within the company. I hope that this helps and can prevent some of the readers from going through the long and winding road that this problem became.

newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #9   Feb 23, 2006 8:15 pm
mrworkwood:

Great find!  Those kind of problems can drive you bonkers! 

I had an intermittant blower fan problem in my Toyota years ago. I found the reason the fan did not work was that the heater core was not filling to the top with hot water which was not telling the thermal circuit which was located at the top of the heater core that the water was hot enough to allow the blower fan to operate.  The reason the heater core was not filling to the top was because I had a blown head gasket which was pumping air bubbles in the engine cooling system!

Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42