Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Auger Belt Replacement MTD 5HP

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
2greys

Auger Belt Replacement MTD 5HP
Original Message   Feb 18, 2006 12:12 pm
I just replaced an auger belt on my MTD 5HP, when I engage the auger it looks like the belt is getting ground down. I saw some powder on the ground after I shut it off. Is there an adjustment I should make, I don't think I put it on wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks. 
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Re: Auger Belt Replacement MTD 5HP
Reply #1   Feb 18, 2006 3:40 pm
I think a certain amount of powder is normal. I get it on my Ariens. You just want to make sure the engine and auger drive pulleys are aligned when the auger is engaged and the drive belt tightness is within specs when engaged so there is no slippage.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Majorxlr8n

Reply #2   Feb 18, 2006 6:50 pm
Did you use a factory MTD belt (754-0430A?) or aftermarket? Aftermarket ones at times do not fit 100% correctly - I've seen this before...

Marty

2greys

Reply #3   Feb 18, 2006 7:37 pm
It is a genuine belt and correct part number. The other thing I did not mention before was the auger control handle used to go all the down, now I only have to tap it to engauge the auger. Is this correct, I've had the blower for so long I don't remember when the unit was new.
Majorxlr8n

Reply #4   Feb 18, 2006 8:24 pm
You need to make the cable "longer". There are lock nuts attached to a barrel up near the engagement lever/handle where you stand when operating the machine - loosen the nuts. Turn the barrel so that you see more threaded area on the bolt. There is too much tension on the auger engagement pulley, and what you are seeing is dust from the BRAKE mechanism inside - not the belt!

Marty

2greys

Reply #5   Feb 18, 2006 8:29 pm
I was starting to make the cable longer but it seemed like the cable was getting alot of  "play" in it so I stopped but I will try it again. Also the brake dust that you refered to, is that dust from the brake on the auger belt or the drive belt. I only replaced the auger belt. Thanks.
Majorxlr8n

Reply #6   Feb 19, 2006 9:09 am
The brake is only for the auger and to stop it promptly to prevent injury - therefore it comes in contact with the auger belt. Check the top of the auger belt & I bet you will see a small groove in it now...

Marty

mech12

Reply #7   Feb 20, 2006 9:12 am
     i assume this is the auger belt you replaced. if this is a two stage unit  the problem is with the "brake" on the drive pulley for the impeller. tip unit onto the blower housing and remove the bottom plate and you will see the  "brake" on the right hand side.  pull back the auger engagement handle and slip the belt under the brake and onto the pulley       good luck  chris
nibbler

Reply #8   Feb 20, 2006 10:34 am
For the auger drive systems I'm afamiliar with there is an idler pulleythat is mounted in a slot on an arm that move when the auger clutch lever is depressed. As the belt wears the pully is moved to keep the belt "tight enough". When you replace the belt the pulley makes the new belt too tight and needs to be readjusted. Changing  the linkage from the handle to the idler pulley should be done to change the clutch mechanism movement not the belt tension. Essentially the linkage determines when the arm starts to move and to a certain extent how far in the arm moves. How far in the idler moves should be adjusted by moving the idler in the slot on the arm. When the lever that engages the auger clutch is released the arm should spring back to its fully disengaged position, this causes a brake pad to rub agains the outter edge of the belt, slowing the auger down and then stopping it. If the brake pad is worn down or missing then the rivets that hold it onto the lever arm will cut grooves in the belt..
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42