Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Worm Gear and Shear Pins

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Debbi

Worm Gear and Shear Pins
Original Message   Feb 17, 2006 4:35 pm
I have a 20hp MTD tractor with a snow thrower.  The augers are protected by shear pins, however the shear pins are not breaking, the worm gear is stripping the large gear it fits into.  This large gear is made from soft brass, while the shear pins seem to be made of sturdy galvanized. 

My question is, why is the large gear made out of such soft metal.  Shouldn't the shear pins break before the gear strips?  Any opinions on having a gear custom made out of steel.  At $75 per brass gear, I can't afford to replace too many.  So far this winter I've replaced three.  Seems like the shear pins should be the first thing to break.  I'd appreciate any help you could offer.

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42