Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > MTD Craftsman 5HP

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
2greys

MTD Craftsman 5HP
Original Message   Feb 12, 2006 7:06 pm
I have a Craftsman 5HP made by MTD, it is on it's 6th season and is starting to stall and backfire. You don't even need a big load for this to happen, I have alaways maintained it or had someone do it for me. This problem started last winter, I snapped the auger belt today so I figure while I had it apart maybe I can fix this problem, the plug is new and the carb is clean. It was suggested to me that the last time someone serviced for me that maybe the carb gasket was not put back in. Any suggestions would help, thanks.
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Majorxlr8n

Re: MTD Craftsman 5HP
Reply #1   Feb 12, 2006 8:16 pm
Leave the choke on 1/2 activated & see how if it runs. If it runs better, then your engine is running lean. The bowl nut holes MUST be absloutely clear or else it will run lean. Make sure the bolts that secure the carb/intake to the engine are snug. If the bowl gasket is missing, that may cause a problem, but you would have fuel leaking out of it...

Marty

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42