Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Oil coming out the crankcase tube

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Loudpedal

Husqvarna 8527SBE

Oil coming out the crankcase tube
Original Message   Jan 27, 2006 4:00 pm
I've got a few hours on a Husqvarna 8527SBE (8.5Hp Tec L-head).   Ever since I changed the oil (2 hour break-in) I see that after using the blower, there is some oil on the left side of the chassis.   The oil is undoubtedly coming from the crankcase tube and is not a lot (maybe 1 square inch of oily stuff).   

I used the recommended viscosity of oil, and I have not over filled it.  Since changing it, the oil level has been halfway between "add" and "full" on the dipstick when screwed in. 

Should I be concerned, or is this normal?

Replies: 10 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
BrorJace

Re: Oil coming out the crankcase tube
Reply #10   Jan 31, 2006 10:37 pm
Yes, tilting could do it.

We have an olsd John Deere 1032.  I think it's a Tecumseh 10hp engine ... that's seen some really hard use. Anyway, the thing doesn't burn a drop of oil after I started maintaining it.

Suddenly the oil level was low, really low.  I found out my Dad had tilted it up when tackling some snowbank.  Sure enough, I found the oil slick outside on the sidewalk where he had done it ... as well as the breather hole in the  side of the block ... with a track of fresh oil still just below it.

I warned him about it, topped off the oil and the thing has been fine ever since.

You might want to look for a crankcase breather on the side of the block.

--- Bror Jace
snowballdgs

Reply #11   Feb 1, 2006 11:51 am
snowballdgs wrote:
Loudpedal,

The oil cap on the tecumseh engines should not be screwed in when checking the level

So sorry about that  guys, false information there .I knew the difference of that . But as jubol said, the dip stick must be screwed in to measure oil on tec's.

Denis,

The purpose of the crankcase breather valve is allow the air in the crankcase to escape. The engine must have  vacuum to operate properly. It has a oneway valve that allows air out but outside air cannot get in. If the air cannot escape the air pressure builds in the base and blows oily/air mist  out of the breather. Thats why make sure that the dipstick Oring is good and tube is tight. There are other possibilities but I don't think that they are your problem, your engine would be to new for this. I hope this explanation helps you.

Loudpedal, 

As brorjace said,tipping the engine to much of an angle on the breather side will cause this to happen.

Loudpedal

Husqvarna 8527SBE

Reply #12   Feb 6, 2006 10:11 am
Here's the update to the oil coming out the crankcase tube. 

I was able to use the blower over the weekend, but there was no EOD hill to run the blower up, which I suspected was causing some oil blow off.  I also rechecked the oil level in the light (usually it's dark when I check it).   The oil level was exactly on the full mark (I thought it was only halfway).

Taa daa, no significant visible oil blow off after use.   As such, I suspect that a combination of tilting the blower back on an extreme angle as well as the possibility that I had too much oil in the crankcase after the break in oil change (maybe not all the original oil was drained due to temperature), was the culprit.

I will continue to monitor.   Thanks for the input guys.

countryboy

Reply #13   Feb 7, 2006 11:56 am
One other thing to mention is since the engine is new you will have more blowby for awhile untill the engine gets broke in. This may make it worse but that is not the main problem. HTH
Replies: 10 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42