Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Oil coming out the crankcase tube

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Loudpedal

Husqvarna 8527SBE

Oil coming out the crankcase tube
Original Message   Jan 27, 2006 4:00 pm
I've got a few hours on a Husqvarna 8527SBE (8.5Hp Tec L-head).   Ever since I changed the oil (2 hour break-in) I see that after using the blower, there is some oil on the left side of the chassis.   The oil is undoubtedly coming from the crankcase tube and is not a lot (maybe 1 square inch of oily stuff).   

I used the recommended viscosity of oil, and I have not over filled it.  Since changing it, the oil level has been halfway between "add" and "full" on the dipstick when screwed in. 

Should I be concerned, or is this normal?

Replies: 2 - 11 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
snowballdgs

Re: Oil coming out the crankcase tube
Reply #2   Jan 27, 2006 6:02 pm
Loudpedal,

I agree  to what jubol has said , also there's the possibility that the breather could be bad.(pin holes blocked or the breather valve stuck).Check to make sure that the rpms are not out of wack.Over revving is the cause for this a lot of the time. Around 3500-3600 should be good .The oil cap on the tecumseh engines should not be screwed in when checking the level.26 ounces for this engine.Hopefully you don't have anything more serious then that . Happy fixing, Snowballdgs.

Moderator Denis

Reply #3   Jan 28, 2006 2:40 am
I agree that is not normal but why they put a tube on? Is it a kind of modulator or something manner with crankcase pression?

Thanks

Denis

Moderator Denis

Reply #4   Jan 28, 2006 2:41 am
I agree that is not normal but why they put a tube on? Is it a kind of modulator or something manner with crankcase pression?

Thanks

Denis

DNK1

Reply #5   Jan 29, 2006 11:41 pm
It is a crankcase breather valve, similar to the PCV valve on a car engine.
Moderator Denis

Reply #6   Jan 30, 2006 4:41 pm
DNK1 thanks for the explanation.

racingpast

A parts replacer is not a mechanic!

A good mechanic is a good find indeed!

Purchase from those who service what they sell & actually know what they are doing.

Reply #7   Jan 30, 2006 4:53 pm
I might be off base, but with new or nearly new engines, too much oil in the engine is the leading cause of oil coming out of places from which it should not.

You advise, with the dipstick screwed in, the oil level is halfway between full & add. Depending on several factors, it's possible your oil level may indeed be on the high side. Check the operator's manual to see if it says to screw in the dipstick or not when checking the oil. Also, make sure the crankcase is level when checking the oil.   

jubol

Reply #8   Jan 30, 2006 5:08 pm
Loudpedal,

Tec's are with it screwed in, by my manual!!

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Loudpedal

Husqvarna 8527SBE

Reply #9   Jan 31, 2006 11:25 am
I'm checking with the dipstick screwed in, on level ground in my garage. 

A Suzuki motorcycle I had previously liked to run with it's oil level just over the "add" mark, and I've been told this was a case for many Suzuki's.  Maybe this is the same for my blower. 

Also, when I clear some of the EOD stuff, I "run" the blower up the bank a bit which tilts the machine back on maybe a 25 or 30 degree angle.  I was thinking that possibly that might be the cause. Perhaps when run on this angle the engine spits out what it thinks is excess oil.   Unfortunatly, there has not been any snow in my neck of the woods for the past 2 weeks for me to run the blower to test my assumption. 

Thanks for the input guys, I'll post any findings. 

BrorJace

Reply #10   Jan 31, 2006 10:37 pm
Yes, tilting could do it.

We have an olsd John Deere 1032.  I think it's a Tecumseh 10hp engine ... that's seen some really hard use. Anyway, the thing doesn't burn a drop of oil after I started maintaining it.

Suddenly the oil level was low, really low.  I found out my Dad had tilted it up when tackling some snowbank.  Sure enough, I found the oil slick outside on the sidewalk where he had done it ... as well as the breather hole in the  side of the block ... with a track of fresh oil still just below it.

I warned him about it, topped off the oil and the thing has been fine ever since.

You might want to look for a crankcase breather on the side of the block.

--- Bror Jace
snowballdgs

Reply #11   Feb 1, 2006 11:51 am
snowballdgs wrote:
Loudpedal,

The oil cap on the tecumseh engines should not be screwed in when checking the level

So sorry about that  guys, false information there .I knew the difference of that . But as jubol said, the dip stick must be screwed in to measure oil on tec's.

Denis,

The purpose of the crankcase breather valve is allow the air in the crankcase to escape. The engine must have  vacuum to operate properly. It has a oneway valve that allows air out but outside air cannot get in. If the air cannot escape the air pressure builds in the base and blows oily/air mist  out of the breather. Thats why make sure that the dipstick Oring is good and tube is tight. There are other possibilities but I don't think that they are your problem, your engine would be to new for this. I hope this explanation helps you.

Loudpedal, 

As brorjace said,tipping the engine to much of an angle on the breather side will cause this to happen.

Replies: 2 - 11 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42