Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Probably a stupid question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
philmeister

Probably a stupid question
Original Message   Jan 23, 2006 8:18 pm
I just bought a used snow blower, about 5 yrs old, 12 HP, 33" dual stage.  It’s a Murray.

I HAVE NEVER USED ONE BEFORE.

So, some stupid questions (I am sure):

When I start blowing snow it works fine, then after 15 minutes, it just stops blowing snow.  (Motor is fine).  Why does the auger just stop turning?  It doesn’t look too packed with snow, and I am going at a normal pace.  Anyways, this happened the other day so I put it away (it was dark) and started shoveling.  This weekend, it was nice outside, so I brought it out to try to diagnose the issue.  I started it up and the auger turned fine! So I put it away again.  Then tonight, I started blowing snow, and after 15 minutes it just stopped turning the auger again - with no visible signs of packed snow inside.

Is a belt starting to slip or something as it heats up? What drives the auger anyway - a clutch or a belt?  What the heck is a shear pin for?

Thanks!!

Phil

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
toolpig

Re: Probably a stupid question
Reply #1   Jan 24, 2006 5:08 am
So long as the engine is running while all this is happening and your augers and impeller fan are turning , it probably is either a worn drive belt or the idler pulley isn't putting enough tension on the belt to blow snow.

There are two belts that drive a 2 stage blower, they are usually found under the guard on the part of the engine that faces forward. One of these belts drives your auger and impeller fan while the other drives a friction disc which makes contact with the friction wheel which drives your wheels.  Clear as mud right ?

A shear pin is a special bolt that is meant to "shear" off if you jam something in your augers, thus preventing any damage to your auger or gear housing. A broken shearpin will prevent your augers from turning so look for bolts that run through your each of the auger shafts. If one or both are missing this could be your problem.

Ariens 11528 snowthrower, Craftsman 18hp lawn tractor, Craftsman 5hp lawn mower, Craftsman 4.25hp pressure washer, Stihl BG55 leaf blower and vac, Stihl SH26 string trimmer, Husqvarna 365 special Chainsaw, Husqvarna 254XP chainsaw.
toolpig

Reply #2   Jan 24, 2006 5:12 am
I forgot to mention if your machine works good at first and dies off after a while you could be getting snow dust under your belt guard which causes some belt slippage. 

I seem to think that maybe a bad auger belt is the problem.  And by the way there are no stupid questions here!

Ariens 11528 snowthrower, Craftsman 18hp lawn tractor, Craftsman 5hp lawn mower, Craftsman 4.25hp pressure washer, Stihl BG55 leaf blower and vac, Stihl SH26 string trimmer, Husqvarna 365 special Chainsaw, Husqvarna 254XP chainsaw.
philmeister

Reply #3   Jan 24, 2006 7:23 pm
Thanks - very handy.  I must have spent 2 hours reading dozens of posts here last night.  Awesome forum - very useful, I think I tottally understand the issue now.  Best regards,

Phil

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42