Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tecumseh has no compression - with engine plate off has plenty of compressiomn

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
timadler

Tecumseh has no compression - with engine plate off has plenty of compressiomn
Original Message   Jan 13, 2006 10:16 pm
Hi,

I have an ongoing project to get a Tecumseh HSSk50 going.  (My first posting was here http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/18286-0-1.html)

The repairman said that there was not enough compression - and that he didn't think it would be worthwhile for him to pull the engine plate cover off and inspect.  He encourage me to open it up and see if anything looked really wrong.

So I have pulled the engine off the snow blower, and removed the cover.  I noticed that when I remove the cover and the cam shaft, there is plenty of compression.  When I replace it, there is no compression.

From my research I see that most engines nowadays have mechanical compression release to ease starting.  It would seem that this could be malfunctioning. 

Any suggestions about what to check for ?? - everything seems to look ok to me.

Thanks for any help,

Tim.

Replies: 5 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
timadler

Re: Tecumseh has no compression - with engine plate off has plenty of compressiomn
Reply #5   Jan 16, 2006 9:36 am
Thanks for all the advice.

I set the clearance to the correct gap and it started right up and purrs like a kitten.

Thanks for all the advice and great website.

Tim.

DNK1

Re: Tecumseh has no compression - with engine plate off has plenty of compressiomn
Reply #6   Jan 16, 2006 9:57 pm
timadler wrote:
Thanks for all the advice.

I set the clearance to the correct gap and it started right up and purrs like a kitten.

Thanks for all the advice and great website.

Tim.

Replies: 5 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42