Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tecumseh HM80 rough running

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
fdease

Tecumseh HM80 rough running
Original Message   Jan 3, 2006 12:56 pm
Hello Folks,

I have an older tecumseh hm80; the engine is running rough even when warm.  I need to keep the choke half-engaged in order to avoid stalling the blower.

I drained old fuel and replaced plug;  dirty carb-choke or points & timing?

Regards

Frank

Replies: 2 - 3 of 3Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
fdease

Re: Tecumseh HM80 rough running
Reply #2   Jan 3, 2006 5:56 pm
Thanks Fred.

Am I looking for two adjustment screws on the HM80?  Also, I think its misfiring a bit, short flames are coming out of the exhaust

Regards

Frank

Majorxlr8n

Re: Tecumseh HM80 rough running
Reply #3   Jan 3, 2006 8:01 pm
Frank - If loosening the fuel cap didn't work, turn the high speed screw on the bottom of the carb "bowl" counterclockwise a 1/4 turn & see if it runs better. If not, try a 1/2 turn. If it still needs the choke to run, remove the bolt on the bottom of the bowl - its the one that the high speed screw bolts into. You will lose some fuel so have a catch can or rags handy, and either shutoff the fuel valve or drain the tank before starting. Once the bolt is out, observe it & look for one or two small holes:

These are almost always the culprits causing lean running conditions. Grab some carb cleaner & a wire bread tie. Carefully run the wire thru the hole or holes until you can see the wire on the inside center of the bolt. Then spray well with carb cleaner. Repeat the wire chasing & spray cleaning. Install the bolt. Turn the high speed screw in lightly until it stops, then back it out 1.5 turns. Fiddle with the adjustment until it runs well. You may have to play with the idle mixture too to get it 100%.

Marty

Replies: 2 - 3 of 3Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42