Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Differential Knob locked -Ariens ST 824

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Heathrow

Differential Knob locked -Ariens ST 824
Original Message   Jan 1, 2006 9:01 pm
Hi Guys,

The differential knob on the used  ST824 I recently purchased is stuck in the locked position. The knob won't pull out. I sprayed around it with WD40 yesterday and am letting it soak in. If I have to use a crowbar to get it to pull out will it damage the differential? Also, The machine is equipped with tire chains, and my driveway is very flat, do I really need them? It is difficult to turn with them. On my previous snowblower I never needed chains? Your help is appreciated.

Mike 

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Re: Differential Knob locked -Ariens ST 824
Reply #1   Jan 2, 2006 8:38 am
MIke-

I don't know the exact vintage of your ST824, but don't use a crowbar.  Use a better penetrating oil, like PB Blaster (available lots of places, even WalMart) or CRC 5-56. 

The knob on my really old Ariens was also frozen.  I used the PB Blaster and a little patience to get the knob free last winter.  Over the summer, I removed the (left) wheel and really cleaned it out and lubed it with lithium grease.  When it gets really cold, the grease is a litte stiff (and the spring is a little old and weak), so the knob needs a little help in moving. 

I have chains on my old Ariens with small wheels, with the diff locked it can be a handful to move.  I also have a flat driveway, but  the chains help a lot, especially with the end of driveway (EOD) stuff. 

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42