Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Got the heavy wet stuff

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
iLikeOrange

Got the heavy wet stuff
Original Message   Dec 31, 2005 10:38 am
Wet snow yesterday about 5-6". The 926 didn't know it was supposed to be a bit more difficult to remove. I was about halfway done with the drive when I realised the machine was throwing it as far as some of the lighter stuff. This was nearly slush, I guess some of it was. Anyway it was a fairly decent test for the new unit. Happy with the overall performance.

I'm thinking of fabricating some longer skid plates to acheive a smoother "ride". My drive is quite broken and very uneven in spots. I have the skids at 1/2" and I still get some sudden impacts. I'm thinking that longer skids would help the 926 over the rough spots. It was no big deal in years past with a lighter unit, but the 300lb machine seem to find all the rough spots. Any thoughts here?

Now this crazy idea, and I'm sure I'm not the first. How about a spring loaded scraper bar? On my machine an assembly could be mounted in existing holes, behind the blower housing with no modification of the framework.

I guess I'm thinking that the inteface between machine and pavement could be improved.

Any input + or - will be appreciated.

Enjoy the New Year,

John

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
al_in_nh

Re: Got the heavy wet stuff
Reply #1   Dec 31, 2005 12:40 pm
That spring loaded scraper bar idea is not so far fetched.  Toro has already done this on one of their two stage models.  Rich posted a pic last year of it.
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #2   Dec 31, 2005 12:49 pm
John,

If you plug "skids jonathan" in search you will find a photo of some skids I made for my 11528. These are working well now. Had to experiment with height. Can send you more details regarding how I made them.

Jonathan

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
iLikeOrange

Reply #3   Dec 31, 2005 1:27 pm
I should have mentioned I have a concrete driveway.

Jonathan I am thinking a longer, not wider skid. maybe 8"-10". Overall dimensions of 10"L x 4"h x 1"wide or so.Four inches of flat riding surface in the center then taper the remaining surface to the end, (front) going up maybe  1".  I think I will make some prototypes out of wood to get started.

al, any links to the Toro thing? Is this different than the pivoting scraper bar on one of their upper end units? I see the pivot thing getting iced up. Does anyone have this? How well does it work?

Thanks again,

John

jubol

Reply #4   Dec 31, 2005 4:36 pm
Orange,

I made ski's for my blower.

Made them 12 in's long,  2 in's wide out of  1/4 steel stock.

Shaped both ends like  a front end of a Ski.

The flat surface is 8 in's long.

I welded thm on to my skids at a slight  angle, so it rides on the outside edge.

Since I have a German Shepard, after I blow my hard surfaced areas,

I drop the skis  1 and 1/2 in's, and blow paths on my back lawn for her!!!

Does no damage to my lawn!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
patsfan

Reply #5   Dec 31, 2005 5:06 pm
iLikeOrange wrote:
I should have mentioned I have a concrete driveway.

Jonathan I am thinking a longer, not wider skid. maybe 8"-10". Overall dimensions of 10"L x 4"h x 1"wide or so.Four inches of flat riding surface in the center then taper the remaining surface to the end, (front) going up maybe  1".  I think I will make some prototypes out of wood to get started.

al, any links to the Toro thing? Is this different than the pivoting scraper bar on one of their upper end units? I see the pivot thing getting iced up. Does anyone have this? How well does it work?

Thanks again,

John

John, I have a 2003 Toro 1128OE with the pivoting scraper,and have a rough,broken asphalt drive.  No problem with the pivot so far.

Ed

formerly OT
al_in_nh

Reply #6   Jan 1, 2006 12:29 pm
I have a link tho the thread that discussed it a while back.  Could have sworn that there was a pic also but didn't see it.

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/7151-0-1.html

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42