Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 1 stage snowblower too long driving chain?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Moderator Denis

1 stage snowblower too long driving chain?
Original Message   Dec 30, 2005 7:16 pm
Hi, my chain ajustment for my auger (1 stage) is at the bottom can I modify the chain to make it shorter?

Thanks

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Re: 1 stage snowblower too long driving chain?
Reply #1   Dec 30, 2005 11:34 pm
There is a conecting link that can be removed, then remove a link to shorten the chain, probably by cutting or grinding it off, and re assemble.

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
JohnEDavies

Reply #2   Dec 31, 2005 12:15 pm
Yes, you can shorten it, and it's not hard to do, especially with an inexpensive chain breaker tool, but you first need to see if it is worn out.

Try lifting the center of the chain where it wraps around the largest sprocket - if it lifts far off the sprocket you need to replace it. Another way is to measure the chain over a certain number of links and compare that to the measurement for a new chain. I don't have those numbers handy, and they vary with chain size. Your dealer could probably tell you how long a dozen (or whatever) links should be to still be serviceable.

Continuing to run a worn ("stretched" is not an accurate description, since they don't stretch) chain will eventually ruin the sprockets. Installing a new chain on worn sprockets will quickly ruin the new chain, so it doesn't make sense to run a worn out chain in the hopes of saving a few $$$.

John Davies
Moderator Denis

Reply #3   Dec 31, 2005 1:19 pm
Hi again,

I cut the chain got 1 link off put the chain back togheter then on the gear but i didnt start the snowblower i check slowly  by turning the auger for noise chink jump

eveything is fine shouild I start the engine now?

Den

poorshoeless

Reply #4   Dec 31, 2005 10:31 pm
Drillertoo,

Not everyone is as smart as you .

Drillertoo wrote:
Dude, are you illiterate or what? I know third graders that have better grammar and spelling skills. Mine aren't the best but yours suck.

"eveything is fine shouild I start the engine now?"

No, let it sit there for 10 years then try it.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42