Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Is this worth $350?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
loubeck

Is this worth $350?
Original Message   Dec 17, 2005 9:42 am
I don't have many details about it other than it's in good working condition and it was well maintained. 

Would you buy it for that price?

Thanks,
Lou
Replies: 7 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
loubeck

Re: Is this worth $350?
Reply #7   Dec 19, 2005 1:13 pm
I just gotta say, this is a great site.

I really appreciate all the comments and assistance I've gotten from you guys.

In the end, I decided to pass on this Ariens.  I was hemming and hawing for a while until my neighbor informed me that he was going away for a few months and that I would be welcome to use his snowblower while he was away.

He reinforced his point by giving me a remote to his garage door opener.  I figured hey, why pay more than market value for a machine that's almost 30 years old when I can use a top of the line 32" 12hp Ariens any time I need it.

I'm going to keep the ST824 in my garage in the hope that I can slap some parts together and get it working by next year hopefully. 

Thanks again,

Lou

loudsubz

Reply #8   Dec 19, 2005 6:08 pm
Good choice Lou. I probably would have done the same in your situation, as much as I like buying, I love to shop around even more for a great deal lol.

Is selection still out there when buying blowers in summer/spring? At least in my local area I havn't seen many in the classifieds around summer time.

RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Reply #9   Dec 19, 2005 11:25 pm
I agree with loudsubz.  Springtime, Summer, and Fall are when I find my free snowblowers by the side of the road.  You might even stop by your local Ariens dealer to see if they have any old(er) engines or necessary parts (or even parts machines) that they might be willing to part with for little money. 

Good Luck

Ralph 

loubeck

Reply #10   Dec 21, 2005 8:03 am
loudsubz wrote:
Good choice Lou. I probably would have done the same in your situation, as much as I like buying, I love to shop around even more for a great deal lol.

Is selection still out there when buying blowers in summer/spring? At least in my local area I havn't seen many in the classifieds around summer time.

I'm not sure to be honest.  I know that the Home Depot's and places like that like to unload their snow blowers in the spring, but I'm not sure about my local Ariens dealer.

I've decided that if I'm not able to get parts for the ST824 in my garage, I'm just going to run out and by a new Ariens 7524 next fall (while they're still available).

jubol

Reply #11   Dec 21, 2005 8:19 am
Loubeck,

You ought to look at the Huskvarna snow blowers.

Lowes has the 10.5 HP, 27  or 30 inch auger opening for $999.00.

With a 10 % off coupon, you are looking at $899.00.

Email me and I'll send you a write up on them!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Kennyz1

Reply #12   Dec 21, 2005 10:32 am
Loubeck

If you want to sell the differential assembly in your ST824 let's talk, It looks like we both have the same machine, however you need the power train and i need the drivetrain.

If your interested shoot me a email.

All i need is the center case, my augers, handles top end are all in good condition, the bolts on mine stripped out and so i can't engage the clutch. This was due to the shaft bearing freezing up.

Let meknow

thanks,

KZ

70chevrolet

Reply #13   Dec 21, 2005 4:51 pm
hey kennyz1.... I may have an extra drivetrain for an st824, just like the one in the picture that is for sale..... email me off the board.

mcarr@nelliemae.com

Replies: 7 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42