Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How would you respond ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
toroman

How would you respond ?
Original Message   Dec 18, 2005 3:13 am
Got 41 cm of snow Friday here in Montreal. Took out the toro 8 - 26  and did 4 driveways all with heavy  end of drive ways . The toro is 25 years old and did the job. Today , a neighour came to my door and asked me  "whether he could rent my snowblower" to which I responded NO my machine is not for rent , its 25 years old and that I will never be able to purchase a machine of that quality again if it breaks , the snow is harder and more compact, moreover If it breaks no one will pay to fix it but me.

So gents  do you get the same proposals ??

How would you respond??

Replies: 4 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
drumsonly2002

Re: How would you respond ?
Reply #4   Dec 18, 2005 1:46 pm
Once the lending starts it never stops. If it breaks, who pays? Everytime I lend, I end up with spending money, plus having my stuff bummed from me when I need it.  I hate being negitave but I had a $1200 blower runied by one of my relatives.
patsfan

Reply #5   Dec 18, 2005 5:43 pm
 " NO, you can't rent it -  but I'd be happy to do your dirve myself, with the understanding that if there're any objects in the way that may damage it, you will be liable to the point of having to buy me a new machine,and then you can fix this one and keep it. "

formerly OT
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #6   Dec 18, 2005 8:07 pm
Treat it like your wife! DON'T ABUSE IT AND DON'T LEND IT

wally

Reply #7   Dec 19, 2005 12:36 am
My response....

No, I can't rent you or loan you my machine.... but I'll do your driveway THIS time for the price of the gas.   If you haven't purchased a machine for yourself by the next snowfall, I'd be more than  happy to clear your driveway for $xx.00 the next time.  And I'd be more than pleased to help you decide which machine might be most appropriate for you to purchase.  

*(:>)* 

loudsubz

Reply #8   Dec 19, 2005 12:51 am
See if hes got anything worth while that he would lend to you as well. If hes got a nice sports car youve always wanted to drive, make a deal that when its warm out you get it for a day. Sounds fair no? That way if he wreaks your blower, you can be extra hard on his precious auto
Majorxlr8n

Reply #9   Dec 19, 2005 3:01 am
A simple "its not for rent" should do it. If they persist, give them the number of a tool rental business - many of them rent snowblowers, so NOW THEY CAN RENT ONE!!!  I don't like people that try to be "cute" by masquerading their wants with a question such as that - they just flat out want to USE YOUR MACHINE! 

Marty

plugger

Reply #10   Dec 19, 2005 7:45 am
A neighbor borrowed my snowblower one time and brought it back a broken cable.  He never even metnioned that it had broke.  He just handed it back and said thanks.  I didn't make a big deal out of it because I couldn't tell if he had abused it or if had broken from normal use but I learned never to lend out an expensive tool.

Chevy  K1500,
Fisher 760LD,
Ariens 926LE Pro
newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #11   Dec 19, 2005 12:09 pm
I do the sidewalks ONLY of my surrounding neighbors. The only requirement by law in NJ is to have yoursidewalks done in 24 hours. I do the walks of the seniors first.

I NEVER do paths as I can clearly see problems such as toys left out, 12v path decor lights, Christmas light perils, newspapers and scraping up someones new pavers or new concrete driveway with my skids. There is nothing like doing someone a favor and wrecking  their property after they spent  5 months building their $800,000 house.  I have a neighbor like that. Heck, if they can afford to pay the $14,000/yr tax bill, they can afford to buy a quality snowblower or hire someone.

Tommm

Reply #12   Dec 19, 2005 12:41 pm
I do all my neighbors sidewalks.. eod.....  but if someone would want to borrow the blower, or a saw... I tell them I'm not sure if my insurance would cover an accident off my property...so sorry...can't.
Replies: 4 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42