Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowblower and Steep Driveway Need Some Advice

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tds1

Snowblower and Steep Driveway Need Some Advice
Original Message   Dec 14, 2005 10:34 pm
Have a new Ariens 7.5 HP Snowblower. First couple of snowfalls it has done fantastic. We have a pretty steep grade driveway. Today snowed most of the day, so therefore had a few sets of tire tracks of the driveway. Found in that case it was easier to go side to side rather than up and down the driveway because it kept getting stuck in the compressed areas near the tire tracks. Eventually, figured out I need to lock both the wheels so they were both driving to get more traction. Any other advice to get more traction and keep the blower as close to the ground as possible? Would tire chains help at all and would they damage a 6 month old asphalt driveway? Also had similar problem at EOD - wheels slipping seemed the main issue - it is particularly steep at the bottom. Overall pretty pleased with it's operation - if I could just always get the snow off the driveway before a car drives on it!
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Re: Snowblower and Steep Driveway Need Some Advice
Reply #1   Dec 15, 2005 1:03 am
I also just bought the 7524E and I'm very pleased with it. I've had others so I have what to compare it to.

My driveway is 20' X 65' and has a pretty steep grade. I don't recommend blowing across the grade because at some point you'll be sliding sideways. In regard to your problem getting stuck on the tire tracks possibly your skids aren't adjusted properly. Revert back to you manual for how to go about it. Another suggestion would be to clear first a path for the tires in order not to compress the snow which eventually turns to ice. You also mention EOD and the ties spin: maybe your speed is set to fast thereby the blower is  pushing more snow than the snow blower can get out of its way. Locking both wheels is fine due to the fact the snow allows it to slip when you turn.

Good luck,Allan

Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Re: Snowblower and Steep Driveway Need Some Advice
Reply #2   Dec 15, 2005 7:41 am
I don't have an asphalt drive (mine is gravel) but I think chains would mark the asphalt up particularly once you get into sealing it periodically. I think most posters on the forum have found that chains aren't needed except for extreme situations. I have a steep section of my drive and find that locking both wheels works well. In heavy snow conditions using a low ground speed gives the auger and impeller a chance to get the snow out and you aren't as likely to bog down and spin the wheels.  At the EOD if the going gets tough you can take bites out of it by keeping the auger going (right handle down) and inch the machine forward by raising and lowering the left handle.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42