Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Help me on a used blower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
spddracer

Help me on a used blower
Original Message   Dec 10, 2005 7:09 pm
Im looking to spend around $200 or so on a blower.  Found alot of older toro s-200 s-620 s-120 in my price range. I have no idea which one to get or which is better?  Im in Ohio and get some light to heavy snow, driveway probalby 100-120ft long.  Do these older models work well enogh to handle this size area? Any ideas on which one to get. I see everyone seems to like the toro blowers so thats what I have been looking at. Thanks for any help.
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Re: Help me on a used blower
Reply #1   Dec 10, 2005 7:22 pm
Older single stage Toros are popular.  Is your driveway paved? The larger single-stage machines can handle heavy snows, but it may take a while and you may not want to wait to blow until the snow ends. Does the city snowplow leave a huge mess at the end of your driveway? This is what usually gives a single-stage problems. Whatever you buy, make sure you can get your hands on a parts manual for it.

AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

spddracer

Reply #2   Dec 10, 2005 7:41 pm
Thanks for the info. Driveway is concrete, Plows leave a mess as most do...

Are the new toro powerlite single stage better? $370ish shipped on those.. 

I found a crapsman 5.0hp 2 stage (mtd?) for $350 locally looks brand new, used 3 or 4 times.. Worth getting?

AZinOH

Reply #3   Dec 10, 2005 8:47 pm
My basic idea is to buy the best quality that the budget can afford, especially if you can spread out the payments. You can get lesser quality machines of greater power, but they won't be a bargain in the long run. Also, to the greatest extent possible...try to get a machine capable of easily handling the average snowfall that you get. It may take more effort to handle an above average snow, but it's better than going overboard and then under-utilizing it.

AZ 

loudsubz

Reply #4   Dec 10, 2005 9:20 pm
Good info here. I recently picked up an older Honda HS35 single stage blower, but the auger setup at the front is alot bigger than what seems to be on those toro models so it can handle a little larger snow piles. Its a 4 stroke so you need to mix gas and oil as well. Its perfect for what I need it for because we really dont get alot of snow in Toronto ontario.

I picked up mine locally for $150 CDN, about $130 US

AZinOH

Reply #5   Dec 10, 2005 9:27 pm
loudsubz wrote:
Good info here. I recently picked up an older Honda HS35 single stage blower, but the auger setup at the front is alot bigger than what seems to be on those toro models so it can handle a little larger snow piles. Its a 4 stroke so you need to mix gas and oil as well. Its perfect for what I need it for because we really dont get alot of snow in Toronto ontario.

I picked up mine locally for $150 CDN, about $130 US

If you need to mix the gas and oil,,,,then it's a 2-stroke, isn't it?

loudsubz

Reply #6   Dec 10, 2005 9:37 pm
I meant to say "Don't" :D pressed reply to fast, and I can't seem to edit the post.     
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42