Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Need advice on Craftsman 5.5 hp Snow Thrower vs Toro 8hp

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Steve_Cooley

Need advice on Craftsman 5.5 hp Snow Thrower vs Toro 8hp
Original Message   Dec 8, 2005 5:42 pm
I recently purchased a Craftsman 5.5 Horsepower (gas), 24 in snow thrower on sale for $599 (normally $699). This unit has not been delivered as the local store was sold out and it had to be ordered (due on Dec 20th). My dilemma is this: my neighbor is selling a 1995 Toro Power Shift 824 (asking price $400) that looks to be in decent shape. He says it was just serviced last week with the intent to sell. He is retired and does not own this blower. He is merely selling it for someone else. So he doesn't know its history but he does know the owner and claims the thing has been stored in a garage for the last three years. I have never owned a snow thrower so I'm a little skeptical at buying something that is 10 years old. We are expecting a minimum of 6 inches of snow tomorrow and he is going to let me try it out before I commit. I live in South Portland, Maine. The snows here are not overwhelming and I have a very small driveway (about two car lengths long by one car wide). My problem has been the dreaded drifts created by the snow plows at the end of the drive. Should I keep the Craftsman 5.5 and will it do the drifts without a problem (last year the drifts sometimes were nearly 3 to 4 feet high in my drive). My thoughts are that the Craftsman is brand new and will be under warranty. But from what I've read on this forum the Craftsman isn't as reliable as the Toro. Sorry to be so long winded. Thanks to anyone who has read this far! Any advice would be appreciated.
Replies: 8 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Steve_Cooley

Re: Need advice on Craftsman 5.5 hp Snow Thrower vs Toro 8hp
Reply #8   Dec 9, 2005 11:20 pm
Thanks to all who offered advice! We got about 12 inches of snow at our house today. I tried out the Toro and it worked like a charm! Even though I have never used a snow thrower I was able to figure out how to get it going and operate it without a problem or a manual. I don't how to compare the effectiveness of this blower but it plowed through the 18 - 24 inch EOD pile without a problem. I didn't have any clogging issues but the snow was rather powdery today. And I'm sure once I locate an owner's manual I can operate it with more efficiency. The end result is that I am cancelling the Craftsman order (hopefully Sears won't charge a restocking fee since the thing hasn't even arrived at the local store). I bought the Toro from the neighbor for $400. I probably could have gotten it for less but since he just had it serviced ($50) I wasn't too concerned about a few more bucks since I had already saved $200 on the Toro over the Craftsman. Now my only problem is that it stopped snowing! I wish my driveway was twice as large!
solara

Reply #9   Dec 9, 2005 11:41 pm
with the serial # you can probably download a manual from toro.com (free).  this will also tell you the year that the machine was built.

good luck

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
Steve_Cooley

Reply #10   Dec 9, 2005 11:49 pm
Thanks Solara. I just downloaded the manual and it's printing as I type. Thanks again for the help!
Steve_Cooley

Reply #11   Dec 10, 2005 12:16 am
One thing I noticed on this machine but forgot to mention was that during operation the chute vibrates to positions other than the one where I placed it. In other words, as I'm using it I have to periodically crank the chute back to its original position since it has vibrated to a different one. Is this normal on snow blowers or is there something I can adjust to keep the chute in the desired position? Thanks.
jubol

Reply #12   Dec 10, 2005 5:25 am
Steve,

Check in your manual on adjustments.

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Replies: 8 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42