Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 520 - Won't Start

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
schwim3x6

Ariens 520 - Won't Start
Original Message   Dec 9, 2005 10:39 am
The Chicago area gets dumped on and I'm all ready to use my snow blower to clear my walks and driveway. Unfortunately, my Ariens 520 won't start. I recently changed the oil and had it running only a few months ago, but nothing I do will get it to start. This isn't the first time I've had problems starting this unit. It works great once it is running, but getting it started can waste more time than it saves. Any suggestions before I put this POC up for sale and buy something more reliable? My back is killing me. Thanks.

- Schwim3x6
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Majorxlr8n

Re: Ariens 520 - Won't Start
Reply #1   Dec 9, 2005 4:04 pm
Since you can eventually get it running, it sounds like a carb problem. Do you use fuel stabilizer? If you keep gas in the tank & Don't use it, the carb is definitely your problem.

Marty

schwim3x6

Reply #2   Dec 10, 2005 9:30 am
Yes, I use a fuel stabilizer, but perhaps I need a better one. I finally got it started after I already shoveled a majority of my walks. I'm still going to look for a more reliable unit, even one with an electric starter. Thanks for your 2˘.
PCPC

Honda 1132 snow thrower, Simplicity 1060 snow thrower, RedMax EBZ8000 leaf blower, older Snapper self propelled mower, Echo weed wacker, 20 + year old 16" McCulloch Chain Saw, wheel barrel with a flat tire, and a rusty shovel!

Reply #3   Dec 14, 2005 3:01 pm
Hi

You may be having a compression problem. Sometimes when an engine sits too long, the oil around the rings runs off, reducing the compression greatly. The more you try to start it, the fuel, washes the cylinders down even more. If it happens again, you should try, removing the spark plug, squirting some oil into the cylinder, and also try shooting a little starting fluid into the air intake. Once you get it started, and use it regularly, it should be ok (if that's your problem). Usually, just starting fluid will get it going enough to seal the rings again. If it sits too long, this could happen.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42