Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 520

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
matt_k

Ariens 520
Original Message   Dec 3, 2005 11:28 pm
I have been in the market for a snowblower for the past month or so. Having bought a new home last winter which we completely furnished and remodeled in the last year, my budget for a snowblower is noit a kings ransom. While I have finally convinced my wife that we will not be buying a single stage like the one she grew up with, we were a bit turned off by the price of the big 2 stage models. Going to are equipment dealers, I found that the smaller 2 stages are in the price range we are lookin for. With a smaller drive (50x25) I think I should be OK with a smaller HP. Living in the NW suburbs of Chicago, we can get some good lake effect snow at times however. I have been thinking about the Aries 5520 but have come across a left over, never used 520 at a local Ariens dealer for an even $500. Seems like a great deal.

Question is, while I really want a 7HP and went down to the 5.5 budget wise, I am wondering how capable a 5.0 will be. While everyone on my block owns single stages and I was the only one with a shovel 9 months ago, I have to think that to 5.0 2 stage will perform better that a 5.0 single stage.

Does anybody have any experience with these small 2 stage models?? I realize with a big snow fall I may have to blow twice in storm but with such a small drive, I dont mind.

Great site by the way!
Replies: 9 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
matt_k

Re: Ariens 520
Reply #9   Dec 4, 2005 3:19 pm
Well, you guys wont believe it. I was put in touch with a guy in Glenview (a suburb near Chicago) that was moving. He had an Ariens snowblower he wanted to get rid of. He was not sure what kind it was so when I called him, he went out in his garage and took a look. It was a 5520. Said he bought last winter, used it twice and was selling it because he was purchasing a condo. Needless to say, I was at his home an hour later. We put some fresh gas in and it started in 1 pull!

And the best part, it came with all the documents and I only paid $250!!! He was thinking $220 - $270 range. I still feel guilty!

Thanks for all the advice guys. Now I look forward to contributing to this site as an owner....

Matt
jubol

Reply #10   Dec 4, 2005 3:33 pm
Matt,

You are going to love it!!

When you went there to see it did you wear a mask and a gun???

Marty,  who posts here, always wears his when he is shopping!!!

I used to hate the words "Heavy Snow Tonight".

Now that I have a blower,  I look forward to it!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
YKW1

Reply #11   Dec 4, 2005 3:38 pm
Luckey bastard, sounds like a great deal. Should do a great job for ya. If not you could always sell it for more and buy the bigger machine.

Ariens ST524 (1989 Vintage)  ******  Husqvarna 10527SBE
wally

Reply #12   Dec 4, 2005 6:07 pm
Regarding steerability....never seem to have had a problem in that category!!! I replaced the 5/26 (30 years old) with a 10.5/29 (now on its 4th season) - and even with my drifting problems, steerability has never crossed my mind as a concern.  Ultimately, to place it on remote control and it clears the required area without supervision is probably the target, but until then, mild guidance from an operator is to be expected.  Actually, the Honda pictured in another thread on this forum is probably the way to go - the size of machine makes the steerable tracks worthwhile.

*(:>)*

faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Reply #13   Dec 5, 2005 10:42 pm
Congrats Matt!
Looks like you got a great deal.....take good care of it and it will take good care of you.......

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Replies: 9 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42