Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Help in starting a brand new Ariens 926 DLE w/ Tecumseh OHSK engine.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
gary31570

Life is a journey, enjoy the ride.

Help in starting a brand new Ariens 926 DLE w/ Tecumseh OHSK engine.
Original Message   Dec 3, 2005 6:10 pm
I am chagrined (distressed) in asking for help in starting my new Ariens snow thrower.
Of course, when I picked it up in Buffalo about a month ago, the dealer showed me how to start it (it started with the pull cord)
and gave me operating instructions.

Yesterday, we had our first decent snow of the season on the eastside of Cleveland of about 16 inches.
The Tecumseh manual says (1) Set engine speed to Fast & Full Choke (2) push primer 3 times and (3) push the starter button, but for no longer than 5 seconds.

At first I thought I had flooded the engine, but I did not smell any gasoline fumes. I called the dealer; we went over what I had read in the manual. We doubled checked that I had the fuel value turned on and the key fully inserted. It would not start; not even one firing sound.

Today, I removed the spark plug; it was dry, which could have been from sitting overnight. I called the dealer again (I really can not say enough good about this dealer, who has been responsive since I first called them). John told me that they had to prime one many more than three times this morning, so he told me to go for six or eight pumps. I also checked the spring cut-off valve in the bottom of the carb to see that gas would flow out when I pushed up on the spring. I removed the plug again and it was still dry. Do you think the primer button could be defective?

The only other thing that I can think of is No spark. I think there is a test light at the auto parts store that when connected between the top of the spark plug and the spark plug wire, I should see a light when I hit the starter button. If I have spark, and it still does not start, I will load it up in my pick-up and take it to my Cleveland Ariens dealer. This dealer, who I have bought from in the past, did not have a 926 DLE when I decided that was the model I wanted, based the good advice I received from this helpful discussion group.

Gary
Cleveland, OH

Cleveland,, OH
Replies: 1 - 10 of 12NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jubol

Re: Help in starting a brand new Ariens 926 DLE w/ Tecumseh OHSK engine.
Reply #1   Dec 3, 2005 6:14 pm
Gary,

Make sure the valve under the fuel tank is  in the open position.

If you have one.

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
drumsonly2002

Reply #2   Dec 3, 2005 6:35 pm
Gary, if possable if you could do, a.  Spray or put some gas in the carb, or: B. remove the spark plug and put some gas in it. Sounds to me like it needs fuel.
jubol

Reply #3   Dec 3, 2005 7:01 pm
Gary,

I almost forgot, check the choke position.

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
JohnEDavies

Reply #4   Dec 3, 2005 8:08 pm
If the plug is consistently dry then spark is not an issue - but you can eliminate that possibility by removing the plug, inserting it into the plug wire and laying the threaded portion on the head, and cranking the engine. You should see a good strong spark at the electrode. Keep your face away from the air blast from the hole, since any fuel residue could ignite with a "Pop!"

It sure sounds like a fuel issue - maybe a plugged-up carb, but I can't see that happening on a brand new machine that you heard run a month ago. Try this: remove the air filter and spray a good snort of starting fluid into the throat (air passage) while cranking the starter. If it fires and runs for a moment, then dies, you have a carb or fuel supply problem.

Good luck and tell us what the problem was.

My 926DLE starts like gangbusters .... when I remember to insert the key.

John Davies
plugger

Reply #5   Dec 3, 2005 8:17 pm
Did you try the pull cord?  Mayber the electric start isn't working.

Chevy  K1500,
Fisher 760LD,
Ariens 926LE Pro
Snowmann

Reply #6   Dec 3, 2005 10:18 pm
You may want to have a look under the heater box (enclosure surrounding the carb) and check the green wires to make sure none are disconnected or damaged. They should attach to the keyswitch and the throttle stop.

PK

Majorxlr8n

Reply #7   Dec 4, 2005 1:15 am
You said you checked the spring loaded bowl drain on the carb but didn't say whether there was a presence of fuel - did fuel come out of it? I wonder if the primer hose broke or came off one of the 2 nipples that it attaches to. I would think that even if  the primer is not working, it would still start up after a few attempts. ALso - make sure you are turning the choke control knob CLOCKWISE to activate it. If everything I mentioned thus far checks out ok, then I highly suspect that the carb got clogged up already! This baby should be starting right up! Plz let us know what you find.

Marty

gary31570

Life is a journey, enjoy the ride.

Reply #8   Dec 4, 2005 8:32 am
JohnEDavies wrote:
"If the plug is consistently dry then spark is not an issue - but you can eliminate that possibility by removing the plug, inserting it into the plug wire and laying the threaded portion on the head, and cranking the engine. You should see a good strong spark at the electrode. Keep your face away from the air blast from the hole, since any fuel residue could ignite with a Pop!
It sure sounds like a fuel issue - maybe a plugged-up carb, but I can't see that happening on a brand new machine that you heard run a month ago. Try this: remove the air filter and spray a good snort of starting fluid into the throat (air passage) while cranking the starter. If it fires and runs for a moment, then dies, you have a carb or fuel supply problem."

Thanks, John and everyone. I will remove the cover to get to the air cleaner. Perhaps first, I will put some gas in the cylinder thru the spark plug hole. The electric start cranks it better than the rope. Fuel tank valve is fully clockwise, which is open. Coke is Full On:Clockwise. Key is fully inserted.

From what everyone is saying it does look like a plugged-up carb. When I did push on the spring valve at the bottom of the carb, gas does flow out. Should I try to drain a fair amount of gas as that would un-plug the carb? It has been years since I opened up a B&S carb. Does Tucumseh use a float in their carbs? If so, could the float be stuck closed, but then why would there be gas in the bowl?

If it does fire with the gas I put in the cylinder or the starting fluid in the carb, then it does seem to be the carb, but it sure is strange as to why it would run just fine at the dealer.

Again, thanks for all the support of the forum.
Gary

Cleveland,, OH
nursedaddy

Reply #9   Dec 4, 2005 3:20 pm
Gary,

Go back to your Ariens machine, and if the fuel valve is facing this way (-) , or horizontal, turn it this way ( I ), verticle. Then try it.

I just went out to my machine to confirm the postion on my 7524 is contrary to what the owners manual says. This morning I blew some snow, and then turned the valve to the ( - ) position and waited for it to run out of gas, which it did. I remember when I first got the machine I tried to start it going by the book, and wound up just as frustrated as you. Pulled the plug - dry, checked for fuel, you name it. Then I turned the valve the opposite of what the book says and on the second pull she fired up.

So I just looked at the manual and it says horizontal is open, but it's not.

Good luck.

ND
nursedaddy

Reply #10   Dec 4, 2005 6:53 pm
Here is a clipping from the Arien's manual

If you use these positions, based on figuring the tank would be at the top of the illustration, as though you were standing along side the machine, you'd have the valve closed, not open in the position illustrated on the right.

Looking at the illustration again, I think the valve is pictured on its side, and the stubby thing they show coming off the round part is the part of the valve that's connected to the hose from the fuel tank. So, in this illustration, the tank would have to be to the left of the valve, rather than on top. This led to confusion the first time I tried to start the machine, unsuccessfully. I tried the valve the other way on a hunch that maybe the book was wrong, and I was right.

The Tecumseh engine manual illustrates it correctly.

There we go.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 12NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42