Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Foolish Question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Ridge

Foolish Question
Original Message   Dec 1, 2005 2:19 pm
Dear All,

The horse is almost out the barn door, but I encourtered your list seeking information on 2-cycle oil, and thought I'd seek an opinion before it's really, really too late. 

Geezer (almost) in NJ with narrow, paved drive and parking pad going down hill next to and behind the house.   Short paved walk from the street in front.  Not huge amounts of snw around here -- three or four 10-12 inch storms in most years, plus a few lesser snowfalls.

I just bought a Toro 2450 (best of class per Consumer Reports) for a bit over $500.  I did see a Yard Machines two-stage snow thrower in Home Dept for just $499.

Am I going to have regrets over the path not taken?

Thanks,

Ridge (in New Joisey, Exit 145)
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Re: Foolish Question
Reply #1   Dec 1, 2005 4:36 pm
With that size Toro you may find that you need to blow some of it before the heavy snows quit falling. But in terms of quality ....the Toro is much better than the Yard Machine. I think you'll be happy with the Toro.

AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #2   Dec 1, 2005 8:06 pm
Ridge wrote:
I just bought a Toro 2450 (best of class per Consumer Reports) for a bit over $500. I did see a Yard Machines two-stage snow thrower in Home Dept for just $499.

Consumer Reports is one of the most unreliable magazine I've ever read (and stopped reading). They are very accurate when they talk about a specific trait of a product (e.g. quietest, ease of use, how fast a snow blower can clear x" of snow).

Where I don't like them is under the plethora of real world conditions that can face you in the real world. Is it 8" of fluffy snow they tested or 8" of the heavy stuff? What about that 25" with rocks at the bottom of the driveway the Snow Plow leaves you?

I like my 2 stage Toro and I think where you live your one stage will work well. But that's what I love about Consumer Reports, move North about 90 miles and their "recommended" $500 snowblower may not work and you'd be better off with the Yard Machines (even if it does prove to be less reliable over the long term).

Good luck.

--SnowRemover

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
wally

Reply #3   Dec 3, 2005 8:30 pm
I think you should really take stock of what you are doing!!!  You are buying a SNOWBLOWER - not contracting a WIFE!!!!   You look at machines - make a decision based on your absolute best judgement (and advice of others) at the time.... and GO WITH THAT!!!!   You have to know that, just as in many OTHER things in life, there is NO ABSOLUTELY CORRECT decision.   There is ONLY the CORRECT DECISION for YOU at the time you are making it!!!

So.... if in a year or two, you, in your best judgement, decide that the decision previously made should have pointed in a slightly different direction - so....SELL the machine for 80-90% of its original value (gently used snowblowers retain value relatively well) - and BUY SOMETHING ELSE!!!   You DON'T need a papal decree to allow yourself to change direction (purchase another brand/make/model/size/colour/whatever) - and get on with things!!!

I've seen machines bad-mouthed on this forum - machines that are damned good and have provided to their masters many years of dedicated and exceptional service - and can only chalk this up to the fact that some individuals are FORD CAR people - and others wouldn't accept a Ford if they won it in a lottery!!!   We all have different reasons for making the decisions that we do .... MAKE THE DECISION that you feel comfortable with ... be happy... enjoy.... life is too short!!! 

By the way...I started MY machine today....it didn't even whimper..in fact it purred....it throws snow AT LEAST 50 feet.... and is a common everyday brand that this forum poo-poos regularly...and I'll stack it against any of the so-called "elite" machines discussed any day.  Ones man's meat is another man's poison.

Cheers from the GREAT WHITE NORTH!!!!

*(:>)*

Ridge

Reply #4   Dec 3, 2005 8:34 pm
Thank you all for your insights and opinions.  All are appreciated.  Sincerely,  R.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42