Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS520 vs Toro 3650, why would I need a 2-stage

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tds9

Honda HS520 vs Toro 3650, why would I need a 2-stage
Original Message   Nov 29, 2005 2:50 pm
I'm thinking about purchasing a snow blower this winter, and have been leaning towards either the Honda HS520A or the Toro CCR 3650 single stage blowers. I live in MA just west of Boston have a level 80' long 2 car wide driveway and a 50' brick walk way that I will be clearing. A neighbor had the Toro 3650 and last year and he was done in 1/3 the time of neighbors with bigger 2 stage blowers in snow falls of ~12" or less. This thing moved snow fast. Pulled itself along with the rubber impeller and looked like it would move snow as fast as he would let it run. And it cleared it right down the pavement. Moved slush that 2 stages leave laying. Never saw it work in the bigger snow storms but a neighbor said it took him a little longer than a 2-stage and he had to go over it twice when he didn’t blow it during the storm.. Should have asked him to try it out before he moved. I've done some reading around and am leading toward the Honda HS520 as some say it's 4 stroke has higher torque which helps in the heavier snow, and that the Toro 3650 2 stroke. Looking for comments/opinions on these blowers and my logic for buying one of these single stage blowers vs a 2 stage. - for my flat 80’ driveway it will clear it much faster than a 2 stage for snow 12” (probably upto 18”) deep or less (80+% of the storms), and I could blow during the storm or go over it twice for the 2 or so big storms per year - moves slush much better than a 2 stage - Much easier to maneuver (especially in the boxed in garage entrance I have) - Smaller and easier to store in the garage - Cleans to the pavement/brick walkway vs the 1” or so the 2 stage leaves - Cost: ~$600 vs ~$1200 for a decent 2 stage Open questions are how it will handle the plow pile at the end of the driveway (neighbor moved it with the toro but not sure how much work it was) and comments on the Honda vs Toro. Also looked at the Toro Snow Commander, but have been told that for my conditions the 3650 was a better bang for the buck. It would clear snow almost as fast and be $200+ cheaper and 40lb lighter.
Replies: 7 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
JasonBlue

Re: Honda HS520 vs Toro 3650, why would I need a 2-stage
Reply #7   Nov 30, 2005 6:43 am
I own a Toro 3650.  Live about 20 miles south of Boston, so I get the same types of snowfall you would expect in Natick.  I got it 2 years ago, after much internal debate.  I always said that I would only buy a 2-stage machine; none of that wimpy single stage stuff for me.  After doing some research (mostly on this site, or it's predecessor), I was convinced that a single-stage would do the trick.

I was NOT disappointed.  The first snowfall I had to deal with was in early December (the weekend of the Pats/Miami game that had me sitting in a snow covered stadium, with more than 50% of the seats empty).  We probably had 15" - 18" and I couldn't get over how the machine handled it.  It handled more than I would have expected, and the EOD was a bit slow, but certainly do-able.  My driveway is about 80 feet long, double wide, with a slight incline from the street.  The machine cleans clear down to the pavement, and actually does move along pretty much as fast as I can keep up with it.  There is a bit of what I would call torque steer, for lack of a better term;  it doesn't necessarily track very straight, pulling itself sideways a bit as you go, but you get used to it.

The machine stores easily.  It can be lifted by this weakling and thrown in the back of a station wagon, or even an open trunk, if need be.  I have not had the "snow in the carburetor problem" people speak of, and the thing starts easily.  The gas-oil mix if not really a hassle, as some say.  The 2 stroke engine is probably noisier than the Honda would be, and it does smell a bit, but those are the only drawbacks I see to the machine.  The main reason I chose the Toro over the Honda, and the 3650 over the 2450, is the crank style chute control  That's also why I shied away from the Snow Commander.   I played with them all in the store and knew that I would always be wishing I had a crank had I bought any of the other machines.

So, there you have it.  Buy the 3650 and be done with it.  You will not regret it.

tds9

Reply #8   Nov 30, 2005 8:59 am
Majorxlr8n...The LT180 blower is 42", and probably 200lb+...I use one of those things that you lie on and roll under the car for repairs to move my mower deck around..would proably work for your blower attachment when you get it. I hate to say it but for now I keep the tractor under my screened in deck since I have no room in the garage. Hoping to get a shed next year. That's one of the reasons I wanted a small blower, so I can store it in the garage. Not sure how good it is to be starting the deere up in the cold. machXS1...I think I'm along your line of thinking when it comes to the few big storms...I won't mind taking a more time. JasonBlue...Glad to hear you positive experience. I've heard about the torque steer as well. I think I remember that game..was that the one where some fans were sitting on 4' piles of snow in the stands? I've been considering the issue with the crank to turn the chute as well. Have heard pro's and cons for both (Crank is slower and sometime binds on the 3650, Non-cranks are move of a hassle to move on the go and on the honda the large chute handle can get in the way in tight places). Now I'm leaning toward taking a chance with it.
tds9

Reply #9   Nov 30, 2005 9:33 pm
For better or worse. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a HS520 this weekend. Space, speed (most of the time), maneuverability, and cost were the driving factors vs a 2-stage. Tough choice on the honda over the Toro..I've heard many good things about the toro, but the higher torque on the Honda 4 stroke leaned me that way...thanks for all the input...
tds9

Reply #10   Jul 26, 2006 10:06 am
test
LouC

Reply #11   Jul 27, 2006 3:27 pm
I've had a Toro 3000GTS for about 7 winters here in Long Island NY. It has been a good machine. Our snowfall amounts are similar to yours. I think in that the only time you will have a hard time with a single is if you don't get to the end of driveway pile before it melts and freezes over, or if you get ice on top of snow that you can't get to. The pluses with a single are they are light, easy to manuver, take up much less room, and there is a lot less to go wrong. The 2 cycle engine is about as low maintenance as you can get. Just mix up your premix and use stabil in the fuel. That is really a must. If you want a 4 cycle single stage then go Honda. I think a 2 stroke puts out more power for equal weight than a 4 stroke. Remember you get a power stroke with each revolution of the crank, not every other as with a 4 stroke.  I'd get the best and most powerful single you can get. The only time I'd go for a two stage is if I had a gravel driveway, or lived where more than a foot of snow was a frequent occurance.
Replies: 7 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42