Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Debating Airens 5520E or 7520E...HD Coupons?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
MuskyHunter

Debating Airens 5520E or 7520E...HD Coupons?
Original Message   Nov 28, 2005 7:52 pm
I've read many threads on this site about compact machines being under powered so now I'm second guessing my decision for a 5520E.  My driveway is approximately 3 cars wide by 3 cars long and I live in midwest where it doesn't snow like Buffalo.  I initially thought I would spend about $450 on a single stage since I feel guilty about not shoveling such a small driveway.  Then I realized what I really dislike about shoveling is the EOD pile.  I can't imagine a single stage would do a good job at the EOD.  That's how I decided on a 2-stage.  Piling another $150 onto the problem I realized I could get a Ariens 5520 for $599.  I didn't opt for the 7524 because it was $310 over what I orginally set out to spend and the 5520 appeared capable siting there in the store, especially considering my small drive. 

Since we don't get more than a couple large storms, mostly small storms that add up over the season I want to believe the 5520 can handle my small driveway.  Is this sound logic or am I being penny wise, pound foolish?

I read another post on this site that stated they saved 10% at Home Depot on their Ariens purchase with one of the many coupons they have or something to that extent.  I called my local HD to inquire about a coupon.  They told me I could save 10% if I got their credit card but that was it.  Does anyone know of any other HD coupons available without having to take their credit card?  the additional 10% would make the 7524 more palletable for me.

Thank you.

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Re: Debating Airens 5520E or 7520E...HD Coupons?
Reply #1   Nov 28, 2005 9:02 pm
The smaller Ariens is probably okay for the size of your driveway and the snow you describe. The problem with HD (and every other non-dealer retailer) is that these are complex machines which require a proper check out and set-up before delivery to the customer. Do you really want to spend that money and have it done by someone who also probably mixes paint and stocks shelves? Are you able to do it yourself? If you answered yes to these, then go ahead and get the best price you can from HD and buy it. If no, then see a dealer who both sells and services the equipment. Yes-you'll pay more but it'll be worth it.

AZ 

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

poorshoeless

Reply #2   Nov 28, 2005 9:21 pm
AZ is correct about HD.  I purchased the 7524E from them and checked everything (almost) before I started it up.  It start up on the first pull but the fun begin when I engaged the attachment  clutch.  Smoking was coming off from the inside of the belt cover.  It turns out that the attachment drive belt was sitting on top of the belt guide.  After this correct, it runs perfectly.  Just waiting for the snow. 
DaveNH

Reply #3   Nov 28, 2005 9:48 pm
You can buy HD coupons on ebay for about a buck each. Seems they are contractor coupons and they do work. Good luck.

Dave

Snowmann

Reply #4   Nov 29, 2005 8:17 pm
These coupons are available by mail if you go to their website and tell them you're moving. 10% off up to $2000.

https://www.homedepotmoving.com/sign_up.do?action=SignUp&regMode=10percent

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42