Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Looking for Two stage Snow blower with torque

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
muzak396

Looking for Two stage Snow blower with torque
Original Message   Nov 26, 2005 7:38 am
I have a long steep driveway, about 60 feet, one car, with a flat bay about 50 X 50 at the base. I have nvere owned a snow blower, but I am getting alittle older and the back isnt waht it used to be. I have looked at the Ariens  11526DLE Snow Blower, which I think is an 11.5 HP. I was wondering if anyone has any experience on this with a steep hill. If not does anyone have any recomendations on one that will run up a steep hill
Replies: 12 - 21 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
18Degrees

Re: Looking for Two stage Snow blower with torque
Reply #12   Nov 28, 2005 9:32 am
musak396

i have a hondaHS928TAS=9 hp with a track drive. My driveway is 18 degrees(looked like 30 degrees, but i measured it with a gravity protractor)- so i spent the 2 grand and got it.  ( i have  a $33.00 lawn mower to make up for it= 22 degree lawn).  

I love it, a wheeled blower would NOT have the same traction. YES, they are a grunt to move when not running, but one should have a parking space for it and run the blower 2 times in the summer anyway.

I tried my old neighbors "streerable" blower and did not like it. My dad had ( and still has, with carb problems) a 1990ish craftsman track drive= i liked that too.

The honda motor is a lower rpm torque monster. The big cost in the blower is the Hydrostatic Transission®, i change speeds and direction ( forward and reverse) WITHOUT disengaging the drive level=faster blowoing.

Hope this helps      18 degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
nibbler

Reply #13   Nov 28, 2005 2:40 pm
There's been some discussion that indicates that the 926 and 11526 are the same machine.

Even the engines appear to be the same and there has been a LOT of postings about whether or not there is some unidentified internal difference that might give the 11526 an extra 2.5HP. I had thought theat the 926 was nimbler but upon checking out the Ariens sno product web site http://www.ariens.com/snow_products/ it appears that both units are identiacl in weight and size. The nly difference being the supposed HP rating of  what appears to be an identically specified engine.

Personally I would go with the 926, its not so much power you want as traction. If the tires don't work then chains will help.  If you get really stuck then blow while going down hill and come back up on the cleared area or take a smalle swath.
nibbler

Reply #14   Nov 28, 2005 2:42 pm
Sigh

I should have said "may be the same machine" sorry about that.
RedCoupe

Reply #15   Nov 28, 2005 4:32 pm
I just received information about the Tecumseh OHV 11.Hp motor and the OHV9.25 version.  Correct, both motors are of the same displacement, 318cc's. I asked Tecumseh folks if they could provide me(readable) performance comparison dats of the two motors. I say readable because i've seen some data on the we thats unintelligable.  They were very prompt and did provide two graphs, one for each engine.   Net is the 11HP motor has about 17% more torque and wider torgue range than the 9.25HP.  Specifically, the 11HP peaks at approx 16.25FtLbs the 9Hp peaks at about 13.9FtLbs.  The predominence of the operating range of the 11hp starts at around 14FtLbs and increases rapidly to max of 16.25FtLbs. Whereas the 9HP starts around 12FtLbs and peaks at 13.9FtLbs.  Best understanding I ave is this is accomplished trough carburation diffrerence between the two motors.

So these are the facts.....

Bob....
jubol

Reply #16   Nov 28, 2005 5:47 pm
RedCoupe,

If what Tecumseh said is true, you can buy for about $70.00  the carb that is on the 11Hp engine.

If you have an 8, 9, or 10 HP engine you can make it an 11 Hp engine just by putting on the 11HP carb.

Cheap price for the HP gain!!

Fred   

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
nibbler

Reply #17   Nov 28, 2005 9:00 pm
Sounds like I've opened up the can of worms again.

Carburation was mentioned as a possible suspect but someone else looked up the part numbers and they said they were identical.right down to the jets. This lead to speculation on it being an adjustment difference.

I mentioned some of this to a local ( Ontario Canada, Eh ) dealer and he said he had heard there was a class action lawsuit in the US that was about the mislabelling of engine HP ratings, I don't remember which firms were mentioned but it was several. I haven't heard anything else about it but it could be interesting. Of course they could always claim that the sticker just guarantees the minmum HP from the engine and that if the engine happens to exceed the spec then so much the better.

The bottom line is I suspect shennanigans but there's still a lot of rumour going around.
RedCoupe

Reply #18   Nov 28, 2005 10:04 pm
Couple of points...1. Correct, there was/is a class action lawsuit in the U.S., a local dealer said it involved Toro and possibly some others.  He said the manufactures were considering refraining from using HP as a measurement and simply state cc's.   2. The facts I mentioned in previous post about 11Hp and 9Hp torque ratings and carburator being the differenece were from a direct conversation I had today with Tecmseh's technical manager.  There was nothing vague in his comments, he directly answered these questions.  If I knew how to imbedd the charts in this forum posting I would have done it.  I will gladly send as an email attachment to anyone that asks.  My email d is milite@hotmail.com.

Bob....
drumsonly2002

Reply #19   Nov 29, 2005 7:40 am
For the 13 hp motor, I imagine the cc's would be bigger. If carbs makes the difference, does that mean a card on a 16 hp on a 13 make the 13 hp into a 16 hp? Technical question.
RedCoupe

Reply #20   Nov 29, 2005 4:33 pm
I believe the 13Hp motor is a bored 318.cc(11hp) to 357cc's.  Bore difference is 79.375 versus 79.400 with same stroke.  Some valve differences as well. 

Bob....
Snowmann

Reply #21   Nov 29, 2005 8:12 pm
The 13hp Tecumseh may look similar, but it is a completely different engine. Crankcase, crankshaft, head, piston, etc. It is also counterbalanced, whereas the others are not.

PK

Replies: 12 - 21 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42