Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Need Some More Help With My Ariens

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
stickball

Need Some More Help With My Ariens
Original Message   Nov 27, 2005 12:15 pm
As suggested, I took the bolt off the bottom of the carb and cleaned the holes (They were actually already clean, but I sprayed them with carb cleaner anyway.) The bowl actually came completely off but I carefully but the gasket back with the bowl and the bolt. Now the engine starts, revs for a few seconds and dies. Is there something I may have done wrong. Is this just an extension of my original problem - the engine used to run well for awhile but then would start to rev up and down on it's own and eventually konk out. Is ti time to bring it to the dealer or are there some things I can try on my own.

Much thanks in advance.

Paul
Replies: 2 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
stickball

Re: Need Some More Help With My Ariens
Reply #2   Nov 27, 2005 8:50 pm
Thanks for the response Marty. When I took the bolt out, lots of fuel came out. I din't clean out the holes because I could look in one side and see out the other.  I will take it off again and clean the holes with a wire as you suggest.  I thought it was a good sign that  the bowl was clean when it came off. Is there anything else that I should do? By the way, what is the purpose of the holes in the bolt?

I notice you live in Freehold. My parents lived in Englishtown for many years. But as they got older (they are in their 90's) they couldn't handle the winter so they are now in Florida.

Thanks again for your help.

Paul
Majorxlr8n

Reply #3   Nov 28, 2005 8:38 am
Paul - here's the bowl nut:

Your machine should have one hole, but may have two. The larger hole is the main/high speed metering oriface, the smaller (if equipped) is for low speed/idle. These are the "jets" of sorts that limit the amount of fuel that enters the carb's venturi (where the air passes thru). If they clog up, you will experience bad or no running conditions. Also, directly above the bowl nut is a tube - these can clog too. Run a wire upwards thru the tube - it could be plastic or brass. If its plastic, there are "O" rings that seal it off, and these sometimes crack or break & require replacing.

I race at Englishtown - nice little area but it has GROWN...

Good luck & let us know how you make out! - Marty

stickball

Reply #4   Nov 28, 2005 6:54 pm
Marty,

Thanks a lot. Given my work schedule, I won't be able to get to this until the weekend. But given the predictions for warm weather this week, I won't be needing the snowblower before then.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Paul
Replies: 2 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42