Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS35 Snow thrower issue - running rough

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
loudsubz

Honda HS35 Snow thrower issue - running rough
Original Message   Nov 25, 2005 12:52 pm
I picked up a snowblower a few weeks ago and when I first tested it, was running fine.

Now that we had a bit of snow I took it out to try it last night and it was running fine for awhile then it just stopped running nicely and would sputer and coulnd't keep a speed past idle.

Its an older Honda single stage with 3.5 HP motor, with single speed control.

I ran it choked and it was running ok, but it was running very slow and would never speed up again even after I closed the choke.

Any ideas.
Someone mentioned that the blowing snow last night might have gone into the engine area and got the magneto wet, and that I should let it dry and try again later. But I never got around to starting it again later.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Jwcamp

Re: Honda HS35 Snow thrower issue - running rough
Reply #1   Nov 26, 2005 8:19 am
I do not think the magneto is your issue.  IMHO, it's time to clean the carb.

Good Luck,  John

loudsubz

Reply #2   Nov 26, 2005 11:50 am
Thanks for the reply Jon. I figured it would probably be the carb as well so last night I took it off the engine and I am going to soak it for a few days.

Anyone ever try Pine Sol? I read on a board that someone who ran a small engine repair shop used Pine Sol to clean carbs and worked great, plus it was really cheap compared to regular carb cleaner. I may give it a try as I dont really want to spend alot of money to clean it.

Is there any other fluids I could soak it in to help get the varnish off and clean the jets? What do you use to clean the jets out even more? Can you use a needle to poke the hole or is there a special tool to clean inside them?

thanks.

Majorxlr8n

Reply #3   Nov 26, 2005 3:46 pm
There is a bolt on the carb bowl's side, at an angle, near the bottom. This is a drain plug - have a can or rags ready, then remove it. This will flush out any crud in the fuel bowl. Another thought is that since you were blowing snow, the carb may have iced up or water got in it. Keep it in a warm place for awhile & drain the carb before doing anything else. I feel that since it was running ok earlier, it just has some water or debris in the fuel bowl. If that doesn't work, then clean the carb out as mentioned above. Carb cleaner is cheap - about $3 a can for the spray variety. I use wire ties (off a loaf of bread) to clear out the holes & passages.

Marty

PCPC

Honda 1132 snow thrower, Simplicity 1060 snow thrower, RedMax EBZ8000 leaf blower, older Snapper self propelled mower, Echo weed wacker, 20 + year old 16" McCulloch Chain Saw, wheel barrel with a flat tire, and a rusty shovel!

Reply #4   Nov 26, 2005 5:52 pm
BERKEBILE 2+2® GUM CUTTER

Nothing else even comes close. 

http://www.berkebileoil.com/special.htm

loudsubz

Reply #5   Nov 27, 2005 7:16 pm
Thanks for the tips. I drained the bowl and I am going to clean it a bit with some carb spray.

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42