Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS1132TA

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DAO5CCL

Honda HS1132TA
Original Message   Nov 26, 2005 12:06 am
Dear others:  who also believe one can never have too many pieces of power equipment, I am depressed as my new honda HS1132ta is 3 days old and there has not been enough snow yet to use it  here in lower, NY. Any pointers to using this this fine piece of equipment? The ground speed appears quick. Will it really clear the snow at near top speed? I will post action shots after first good snow along with my opinions after use if anyone interested.
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
PCPC

Honda 1132 snow thrower, Simplicity 1060 snow thrower, RedMax EBZ8000 leaf blower, older Snapper self propelled mower, Echo weed wacker, 20 + year old 16" McCulloch Chain Saw, wheel barrel with a flat tire, and a rusty shovel!

Re: Honda HS1132TA
Reply #1   Nov 26, 2005 12:59 am
I've had one for 3 years now, and am finally very happy with it. I had some bugs to work out, in the beginning, which surprised me, since it's a Honda, but now that I know what I'm doing, it's great. One thing I can tell you, before you do anything with it, remove the augers, and pack them with synthetic grease. Either that, or remove the end bolts (on the outside of the bucket housing), and the shear bolts (for venting), and pump grease into the end of the auger shaft, till it comes out the other end of the auger. (the bolt hole goes all the way through). I'm assuming that Honda hasn't put grease fittings on the auger shafts yet, since mine doesn't have them. IMO, this is a design flaw.

The auger, fits onto the shaft (drive shaft), at the gear housing, kind of tightly, and they just seem to put a smear of grease on the shaft. If you break a shear bolt, and don't realize it right away, you stand a very good chance of welding the auger, to the drive shaft. Trust me, I did this, the first day I used the machine. Each auger side, is almost $300 from Honda, and the only way you will get it off, is to cut it off, as even heating it, will not work. Luckily I got Honda to foot the bill, and let me fix it myself, only after calling their branch in GA, and hounding them about it. I had to replace the drive shaft as well, which involved taking the gear box apart.

Also, check to see if yours came with a carburetor deicing kit. This is basically a rubber shield (cover) which hangs around the carburetor, causing heat from the exhaust to keep the carburetor warm. Sometimes, they come with this option, and sometimes they don't, depending on the area that the machine is sold. Mine didn't have this, and was having a problem with performance. It would run great, for about half an hour, then start surging, and barely run. It would get to the point that I couldn't use the machine. I would bring the machine inside for about 15 minutes, and it would run perfect again, for about half an hour, then it would start all over again. I found out, through this forum, that the carburetor was icing up, inside, and that Honda knows of this problem, and designed the kit to correct it, but they don't put it on every machine. Well, mine needed it, so I got Honda to warranty that for me too (it only costs about $65.00). My dealer had no idea about it, so I just had to give him the part numbers, and he got it for me. Anyway, that solved the problem, and now everything is perfect with it, and it blows snow, like nothing I've ever seen. It's truly an amazing machine, with the way it performs. I have a 10HP Simplicity, which is actually a 12HP, I found out, and that works great too, but nothing like the Honda. The Honda has a whole different feel to it. It's more like a snow pump, then a blower...lol. Just remember to be carefull with it, as the auger, IMO, is a bit under engineered. 
Hope this helps.
Jwcamp

Reply #2   Nov 26, 2005 8:15 am
Great post "PCPC",

One other area that you may want to never-seize / grease to the track cog wheel shafts.  You can loosen the tension and wiggle the wheels off the shafts.  We also sprayed some lithium grease on the tension adjuster bolts then too.  On my fathers tracked Honda, they were all  assembled dry.

Good Luck,  John

18Degrees

Reply #3   Nov 28, 2005 9:43 am
dao5ccl  

the second biggest concern you have is deciding what time in the morning to start making noise from the overnight snowfall.

It need to by timed carfully = late enough to not make the neighbors mad-- yet early enough to get your driveway and ALL their driveways done too.=BEFORE THEY HAVE A CHANCE TO START THEIR BLOWERS!

18 degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
parkcityutah

Honda HS1132 - Gear Box fails
Reply #4   Nov 27, 2006 8:49 pm
I have a Honda 1132 that I purchased last January. It worked well for the rest of the season. In the fall when I went to do some service the control on the handle DID NOT disable the blower from moving forward or in reverse. I took it to the dealer and he said the belt "shrunk" so he replaced the belt that drove the treads with a new for NO CHARGE.

In the first snow storm the everything worked well for 5 minutes and not the snow blower does not move forward or backward. The auger for throwing snow works.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a clue as to what has to be done to get this snow blower to work as it should????
Blizzard

Reply #5   Dec 29, 2006 3:56 pm
DAO5CCL wrote:
The ground speed appears quick. Will it really clear the snow at near top speed?

If you press the drive clutch when the stick is full ahead and max power is set you will tend to think ground speed is high because the machine jolts into motion much quicker than it does with wheeled models, but the actual speed is not as high as it seems. In fact Honda sets the max speed of its tracked models at a relatively moderate level in order to keep vibrations under control when the blower is in transit, that is when the machine is in motion with the auger up and blades idle. I own an HS928 TCD* and was a little frustrated it wouldn't roll a little faster when I need to take it down the block to clear a parking lot for a customer (the distance is too short to be worth loading the blower on the pickup truck) but then I took notice that the cleats shake the blower quite a bit when it's rolling on the pavement. Considering Honda's reputation for thorough designs I figure this limitation is probably for the best. To answer your question yes, in most cases your blower will clear snow efficiently at top speed.         

*The TCD is similar to the TAS except it comes equipped with a standalone battery powered DC starter, standard headlight and joystick controlled power chute instead of manual crank. It's longer and heavier than the TAS but has the same engine and track size. If I'm not mistaken the TCD is only available from Canadian Honda dealerships but US commercial operators may import it free of duty for commercial use.
This message was modified Dec 29, 2006 by Blizzard
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #6   Dec 13, 2010 9:42 am
After running snowblowers tracked & wheeled for decades i can tell you that the fastest way to get the job done begins before the snow falls.  First and all winter long, clear fallen branches, stones, and other shear pin breaking debris from the driveway.  Next once the snow arrives clear it when it first falls as soon as possible because if the snow changes to sleet, freezing rain, or rain the whole mass of snow becomes ten times heavier and sticky enough to Clog the discharge Chute.  Throw Distance is directly related to how wet the snow being thrown becomes.  Even the weakest machines can throw light powder snow a long way, what separates the wimpy snow blowers from the he-men is wet snow and slush.  Next, learn to listen to the machine, if its lugging, ease up on it, let the machine do the job, forcing it only makes things wear out faster or break.  My new HS 928TAS is a well designed, pretty much 'state-of-the-art' snowblower, as yours is.   No machine is perfect, but these are as good as they get.

Keep plenty of spare shear pins, spray the chute with a product like 'snow & ice teflon spray', clean the machine afterward, run the gas out, or drain it, and always follow the Honda instructions for storing the machine in the warm weather, once the winter is over.  It should be the last snowblower you ever need buy if you do.

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42