Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New 11526DLE, have motor question???

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
RedCoupe

New 11526DLE, have motor question???
Original Message   Nov 22, 2005 5:25 pm
I just purchased a Ariens 11526DLE.(11.5HP, 26", DLE), delivery is tomorrow.  I noticed in product literature the 9.25HP and 11.5HP Tecumsuh motors have same displacement.  I believe they're 318cc.   Anyone know the technical differences between the two motors and Tecumsuh achieves the additional 2.5HP?

Bob....
Replies: 6 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Emmo

Re: New 11526DLE, have motor question???
Reply #6   Nov 24, 2005 1:24 am
RedCoupe wrote:
Emmo, thanks very much for this info.  I did some checking as well, talked with Teumseh and Ariens folks today, conclusion is the(OHV9.25 and OHV11) engines(internals) are identical.  The engine HP differences are result of modification in the carburation.  Not even a different carb, just modification within carb(probably jetting).  All else is the same.  I raised the point about price difference(almost $250) between these two engines as to why so much.  Discussion on this money point was non committal in that they simply said its really a matter of market pricing.  So it seems paying for these two extra HP is like buying Lobster...it a market price issue not the content of the item.

Lesson learned here and well documented by this forum is but the 9.25HP, you're getting the same product with almost no difference in performance!!!

Thanks again everyone...by the way, I changed  my order to the 9.25HPDLE.    

Glad that helped and the 925 DLE would have been my choice.
nibbler

Reply #7   Nov 24, 2005 8:00 am
Emmo wrote:
Glad that helped and the 925 DLE would have been my choice.

I've been lusting after the 925DLE as well, mostly due to its agility. Either machine would be a "good thing" and when you look at the cost over the machine's probable lifespan the difference in cost is quite small. At the same time I'd want to save the bucks if I could too. I hope you enjoy it a lot.

You can also speculate that the extra cost goes into a stonger drive train and perhaps steeper gearing. Personally I have a hunch its because people are willing to pay more if it's bigger. and has flashy lights and buttons on it ( at least the guys will ).
RedCoupe

Reply #8   Nov 24, 2005 12:39 pm
Nibbler, two points...1. The $200+ extra cost of the 11hp over lifespan really isn't my issue, it's a matter of what am I paying for?  Is it vaporware or is it a tangible difference?  So far no one has been able to identify "anything' that explains any significant difference,  certainly not $200+ dollars worth of difference.  I'd love to stand corrected on this, at whch point I'd buy the 11hp.  At this time it looks foolish to fall for the vaperware option.   2. There is "NO" difference between the 9.25DLE and the 11.5DLE, none!   So it's not the blower machinery as you suggest. 

Thanks for the thoughts...

Bob....
wally

Reply #9   Nov 25, 2005 2:52 am
RedCoupe wrote:
I'm not sure I believe they're identical.  Ariens and Tecumseh have too much at stake to do something illegal and so dumb as to falsly label the motor output.  I as yet have not heard a plausable answer however.  For now I'll give them benefit of the doubt, but I will persue this.

I'm assuming the additional power(9.25 to 11.5) might be due to any of the following, carbuartion, exhaut header, compression, etc, etc without increase in displacement.   Certainly seems like something Ariens & Tecmseh can easily clarify.   Maybe somone in this forum knows the answer.

I think you're missing the point.  Motor manufacturers provide varying options within their product lines.  When they sticker a motor, they are certifying that the product is configured to provide the specification indicated.  The same block/bore/stroke engine may be stickered at two or three hp strengths - YOU decide which one you want, and they theoretically deliver.  Cases in point - Mercury Outboards.  Fourstroke 60hp, 50 hp ---same gross specs - and the marine mechanic suggests that the MAIN difference is a restricter plate.  However, there's no guarantee that plate replacement will convert the 50hp to the 60 hp - jet size, IC modules, etc. may well be the difference.  So the SAME gross block is DOWNSIZED in sticker power to produce one market product, and run at the HIGH END efficency to produce another.   Same manufacturer - ( I'm looking at a 2002 spec sheet) - 2-stroke 9.9hp classic vs. 15hp classic -  both 262cc - both same weight, gear ratio, bore/stroke, etc.   I would suspect their buy price difference is MORE than $250 and their PERFORMANCE GUARANTEE (sticker rating)  is 50% more for the 15hp over the 9.9hp. 

Of course, you can ALWAYS look at "souping up" the lower-end machine to emulate the higher-end machine.  It may work well....it may also be a disaster because we all know that a small "tweak" in a small engine may make for a BIG problem in engine performance.   If I've learned anything in messing around with small engines,  (and I have a dozen or more in different configurations) it's that I respect those who have engineered them to work as well as they do.  You make a conscious decision as to your  "buy-in" point - and go with that.   Second level "navel-gazing" is just THAT - unproductive.   

Cheers......    *(:>)*

nibbler

Reply #10   Nov 25, 2005 9:38 am
RedCoupe wrote:
Nibbler, two points...1. The $200+ extra cost of the 11hp over lifespan really isn't my issue, it's a matter of what am I paying for?  Is it vaporware or is it a tangible difference?  So far no one has been able to identify "anything' that explains any significant difference,  certainly not $200+ dollars worth of difference.  I'd love to stand corrected on this, at whch point I'd buy the 11hp.  At this time it looks foolish to fall for the vaperware option.   2. There is "NO" difference between the 9.25DLE and the 11.5DLE, none!   So it's not the blower machinery as you suggest. 

Thanks for the thoughts...

Actually if you re-read what I wrote you will see that I didn't suggest  that its a difference in the machinery, I said that you can speculate. I also offered my opinion which was that it was simply a matter of people being willing to pay for something they percieve is bigger and flashier. You can imply from that the I don't think there is a significant difference. I.E,. Its vapourware

As far as there being "NO" difference, there is an obvious one, the stickers are different . I haven't found anything significant, even the weights are identical.  What I got out of the other, longer discussions on the HP rating on the engines was that although there might be a differnce no one had a definitive reason.
RedCoupe

Reply #11   Nov 25, 2005 1:17 pm
My appologies if I misinterpreted your reponse or seemed unnecessarily strong in my comments.  I understand your points and I think we're in full agreement.  The tone of my comments were no doubt influenced by my frustration in seeking a simple clarification from these manufacturers.  This is a new experience for me, forgive me.  I really appreciate your comments, experience in this area and now your patience.  Bear with me and thanks again.  

Bob....
Replies: 6 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42