Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Help with 7 hp Briggs & Stratton on 72' Toro 726

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
72Toro726

Help with 7 hp Briggs & Stratton on 72' Toro 726
Original Message   Oct 20, 2005 8:59 pm
Hi, I purchased an old (1972) Toro 726 today. Unfortunately, it will only run on full choke for a minute or so then stall. Can anyone help me with the carb settings for this thing?  I picked it up thinking it only needed to have the carb cleaned. I've since changed the head gasket, spark plug, fuel line, fuel filter (clear, inline, paper  element, arrow is supposed to point in direction of flow right?). I've found that when she begins to stall if I choke it with my hand over carb she will suck some more fuel and run for awhile longer. The fuel filter does seem to be running low on fuel and after starting it I can even see bubbles in the fuel filter. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thank you,
Replies: 7 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
72Toro726

Re: Help with 7 hp Briggs & Stratton on 72' Toro 726
Reply #7   Nov 20, 2005 8:21 pm
It appears that I'm getting Oil on top of the piston. Anyone know where this oil could be comming from and or how much it might cost to get this fixed? Thank you,
Majorxlr8n

Reply #8   Nov 20, 2005 11:16 pm
You have a 185? Nice tractor! A hyrdo is just fantastic to operate. I wish mine had one!!!

You could very well have more crud in the carb, or even the fuel tank. Those metal tanks are known to rust, so you might be getting rust flaking off & getting into the carb. Both should be checked.

About the oil on the piston - are you sure its oil? If the carb is flooding, it may be fuel. If it IS oil, it could be a clogged breather, or the rings need to be replaced along with a reboring of the cylinder.

I don't know your mechanical ability, but this machine sounds like it needs some serious attention in order to get it 100%...

Marty

72Toro726

Reply #9   Nov 21, 2005 8:19 pm
I dropped the 726 off at a local small engine repair shop yesterday. Hopefully, it won't be anything major. Thanks for all of the advice.
Majorxlr8n

Reply #10   Nov 21, 2005 8:29 pm
72Toro726 wrote:
I dropped the 726 off at a local small engine repair shop yesterday. Hopefully, it won't be anything major. Thanks for all of the advice.

Please let us know what he finds & repairs.

Thanks! - Marty

Replies: 7 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42