Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Track drive vs Wheel drive pros and cons?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
drumsonly2002

Track drive vs Wheel drive pros and cons?
Original Message   Oct 29, 2005 5:12 pm
Going to get a snow blower and keep changing my mind faster than I can eat a burger at a greasy spoon. Like to be able to load the machine in my van and transport it to do some sidewalks for some disabled friends. I was thinking of a used Honda,(if I can find one) with it's lower profile could fit. Anyways, the goal is to get an excellent machine for a gravel driveway, good for slush. The other half of my brain tells me to get a steerable unit like the Toro or Craftsman. Though not track driven read some nice reviews about the steerable snowblower. I guess I will get the measuring tape and check out the clearences in the van. Would like your advice or comments. BTW, my driveway is long and tired of the plow guy making a mess every year, thus seriously thinking of doing it myself with a blower.
Replies: 19 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
carguy

Re: Track drive vs Wheel drive pros and cons?
Reply #19   Nov 14, 2005 9:50 am
I gather from you last post that you don't have a Simplicity dealer near you? Even if it's a bit of a drive, it's worth it. I have one of their intermediate machines (755E) and I love it. When I was shopping for a machine a few years back, it had the most sturdy feeling handlebars and it was the only on in it's size/power range with the "one hand" feature (i.e. hold one control down and the other one locks down).  It was more expensive than a similarly sized Ariens, but the price was within my budget and the extra expense was worth it. I have not had one problem with it and it has not needed any service or adjustments.

Having said all that, I wish I could have afforded one of their professional/commercial machines. Talk about sturdy - the handlebars are massive pieces of steel bar stock at least 1/2" thick, and these beasts weigh 270 lbs. on up. Back then they had Tec engines, but they have since switched to Briggs. I think one of these machines is worth a look if you really want something serious and you can justify a bit more of a drive to find a dealer. If you make the drive, chances are you'll never need to go back since these are really robust machines. Snapper is also owned by Simplicity and from what few pictures are on their website they appear to be the same machines (at least the pic of the intermediate machine anyway) although I'm not sure if Snapper has the commercial units or if they are exclusive to Simplicity.

Good Luck!

Chris

sabesh

"There's too much blood in my alcohol system"

Re: Track drive vs Wheel drive pros and cons?
Reply #20   Nov 15, 2005 12:51 am
Thanks Chris. I spent 4 hours this morning trying to locate a Simplicity dealer with no success. I guess means I'll have to take a harder look at the Toro (The Missus likes it too). Cheers, Sabesh.
Replies: 19 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42