Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Craftsman 9 HP snowthrower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
BillG

WE WILL GET IT MONDAY

Craftsman 9 HP snowthrower
Original Message   Nov 12, 2005 10:07 pm
My question is I have a Sears snowblower without a headlight. I want to install one if I can, will someone be able to tell me if I can and what type headlight I need. I tried a standard 12 volt headlight but it just is to dim. Is there a bright light or do I need a special light for this? How do these lights work, I don't think I have an alternator. Thank You for the help,   Bill

WE WILL GET IT MONDAY
Replies: 1 - 13 of 13View as Outline
Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Re: Craftsman 9 HP snowthrower
Reply #1   Nov 13, 2005 6:37 am
A guy explained how he did it on another forum.  I know his had an AC voltage coming from his engine.  He also got a light at one of the box stores (I believe).  I do remember that it was a 12 volt AC light that he used.

The job turned out looking real nice;  you can't even tell it was aftermarket.  I don't know if it is possible on a Craftsman or not.

Walt 

drumsonly2002

Reply #2   Nov 13, 2005 10:58 am
Walt, what forum would that be? Thinking of doing the same to an old blower while I save for a new one. Going to "try" to get a 20 year old blower working. Thanks.
Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Reply #3   Nov 14, 2005 4:56 am
Thanks Lint!
Majorxlr8n

Reply #4   Nov 16, 2005 10:05 am
I'm the guy (I think)

I picked up a nice MTD 8/26 snowblower DIRT CHEAP. It had the provision for a light but the previous owner never added one - so I thought I would!

I checked the specs for the alternator output, and it was rated at 18 watts. I ran a voltmeter at the output wire & came up with 15 volts of a/c output.

I went to Lowes looking for a cheap 12 volt light and ended up getting a Intermatic, Malibu "Mix & Match Series", 7 watt floodlight model ML90708/LV108. This is actually a low voltage, stick in the ground light kit that is used for landscaping. It cost $4.79!

I removed the "stick in the ground" spike. I mounted the housing to the operator panel with 2 bolts. I ran the wires to the engine & connected them - one to ground, the other to the alternator output wire. I then used 3/8" plastic wire jacketing ($2 for six feet) & housed the wires inside the casing. I fired up the engine & was rewarded with a very bright light!

Marty Cool

BillG

WE WILL GET IT MONDAY

Reply #5   Nov 17, 2005 1:24 pm
Marty, I went to Lowes and purchased everything that you said to get and it works GREAT.  You just saved me about 40.00 dollars. One question did you put in a switch to shut it off or ran it direct.  I have mine direct. Thank You    Thanks to everyone who replied to my question.

WE WILL GET IT MONDAY
Majorxlr8n

Reply #6   Nov 17, 2005 8:16 pm
Bill - I ran mine directly to the light - no switch. You may want to score a spare bulb too, just in case. A switch would be a good addition - thanks for the tip!

Marty

hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #7   Nov 22, 2005 1:22 am
Marty, Any idea if I can put that light "kit" you mention on a  ARIENS 724E ?

Majorxlr8n

Reply #8   Nov 22, 2005 1:51 am
hirschallan wrote:

If your engine has an alternator, you can add the light. Look under the fuel tank for a lone wire just hanging there, not connected to anything. If you see the wire, then chances are your engine has an alternator & you're ready to go!

Marty

Snowmann

Reply #9   Nov 22, 2005 7:22 pm
hirschallan wrote:

Hirschallan,

That unit does not have an alternator. One can be installed, but at great expense. The flywheel needs to be replaced with one that has magnets.

I believe there are some nice rechargeable bicycle headlights that come complete with mounts that may work. Anyone ever try this?

PK

denniston

Reply #10   Dec 14, 2005 12:01 am
Marty,
I think I just bought that same snow blower tonight for as you say dirt cheap.
do you happen to have any pictures of how you mounted the light.
I think I'm going to do the same thing to mine.

Thanks
Majorxlr8n

Reply #11   Dec 14, 2005 3:24 am
Dennis - I ended up mounting it on the plastic "cross piece" that runs between the 2 handles on the handlebar, just below the "MTD" badge. I might have a pic, but if I don't, I may have another light to add on a similar machine & I'll snap a pic of it...

Marty

suppergrassy

Reply #12   Dec 6, 2007 2:45 pm
how do you hook up to the wire from engine w/ "pin" with plastic connectors
nibbler

Reply #13   Dec 6, 2007 4:30 pm
I normally wear a chainsaw helmet with integral ear muffs so I just got a picture of a helmet mounted light and a cable that you "jack in" to the snowblower, maybe electric underwear would be handy as well.
Replies: 1 - 13 of 13View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42