Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > painting snow blower - impeller removal?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jonnyboost

painting snow blower - impeller removal?
Original Message   Oct 24, 2005 7:33 pm
hello everyone.

ive got a rusty blower housing on a 1998 MTD 2 stage  snow blower.  i want to sand the inside and then repaint.  the only problem is i can't figure out how to remove the inpeller and auger assembly so i can get at all of the blower housing.  i have the sides of the auger free but im not sure exactly how to go about removing the impeller.

-how do i remove those spring pins just before the impeller?

-or do i have to dissassemble the gear assembly to get the auger and impeller out?

any help would be appreciated...thanks for helping out an old man,

jon

Replies: 7 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
helix_guy

Re: painting snow blower - impeller removal?
Reply #7   Nov 8, 2005 3:43 pm
I have used a product at Home depot called Stripese, It takes any paint off right down to bare metal in a few seconds. I used it on my Chrysler vans roof. it went reight down to bare metal before my eyes. then you use a neutralizer spray, wipe it down and prime it, and repaint. came out like a factory paint job.
I have a question. I am rebuilding a Bolens 4021 2 stage snowblower. same probem, I think there are shear pins in the second stage shaft, that if I drive them out I should be able to get the whole thing out. I need the front gear box. the gears are gone. I was given the following MTD part numbers, 1720933, and 1740468 as replacement parts. I'm not sure if these are really the replacement parts or not. Any one got a 4021 gear box they want to sell? I removed the side impeller mount bolts, and the 2 stud bots on the pully in front of the engine. Still won't budge. I think there are 3 more bolts in front of that where it enters the second stage auger housing and the shaft goes through a beaing, I need to remove. Once I get it out, if the two part numbers are correct, then I can repair the gear box. Am I heading in the right direction.-Steve
LordVader

Re: painting snow blower - impeller removal?
Reply #8   Nov 10, 2005 11:58 pm
It's an MTD, and you care to make it look good why?
Replies: 7 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42