Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Track drive vs Wheel drive pros and cons?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
drumsonly2002

Track drive vs Wheel drive pros and cons?
Original Message   Oct 29, 2005 5:12 pm
Going to get a snow blower and keep changing my mind faster than I can eat a burger at a greasy spoon. Like to be able to load the machine in my van and transport it to do some sidewalks for some disabled friends. I was thinking of a used Honda,(if I can find one) with it's lower profile could fit. Anyways, the goal is to get an excellent machine for a gravel driveway, good for slush. The other half of my brain tells me to get a steerable unit like the Toro or Craftsman. Though not track driven read some nice reviews about the steerable snowblower. I guess I will get the measuring tape and check out the clearences in the van. Would like your advice or comments. BTW, my driveway is long and tired of the plow guy making a mess every year, thus seriously thinking of doing it myself with a blower.
Replies: 5 - 14 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Dave

Craftsman 88799

Re: Track drive vs Wheel drive pros and cons?
Reply #5   Nov 3, 2005 6:55 pm
I would stay away from track drive unless you really need it, such as with a steep incline. Track drive hard to manuver, which will make it more work to use. It's also more complex and expensive to fix if it breaks. Wheel drive is the way to go, and there are various options available.
Jwcamp

Reply #6   Nov 4, 2005 8:15 am
Howdy,

I have the 9hp 28" Honda wheeled snowblower.  Love It! I really like the hydrostatic drive.

Because I blow a long gravel driveway I have my skid-shoes way down. So when I do my blacktopped driveway I do leave a 1" layer of snow that I shovel up.

My father has a step driveway and has the smaller tracked honda.

So having used both now, what would I recommend?

The Tracked Honda, it's dual height will give you the clearance for gravel yet scrape right down on your sidewalks and paved stuff.

Good Luck, John

nibbler

Reply #7   Nov 4, 2005 9:30 am
Jwcamp wrote:
Howdy,

I have the 9hp 28" Honda wheeled snowblower.  Love It! I really like the hydrostatic drive.

Because I blow a long gravel driveway I have my skid-shoes way down. So when I do my blacktopped driveway I do leave a 1" layer of snow that I shovel up.

My father has a step driveway and has the smaller tracked honda.

So having used both now, what would I recommend?

The Tracked Honda, it's dual height will give you the clearance for gravel yet scrape right down on your sidewalks and paved stuff.

Good Luck, John

Why not just adjust the skids? Get two pieces of  1/8' thick wood, place them under the scraper bar and loosen the nuts on the skids until the scraper comes down on the wood. Tighten and away you go on the black top. Do the same thing with thicker wood for the gravel.  It takes more time to type in the description than to do it.
Jwcamp

Reply #8   Nov 6, 2005 9:41 am
Howdy,  

In reply to nibbler: QUOTE "Why not just adjust the skids? Get two pieces of  1/8' thick wood, place them under the scraper bar and loosen the nuts on the skids until the scraper comes down on the wood. Tighten and away you go on the black top. Do the same thing with thicker wood for the gravel.  It takes more time to type in the description than to do it."END QUOTE

Hey! Thats the way I adjust my skids too,  though only at the beginning of the season.

I do not have any faith in the soft Japanesse nuts and bolts to keep adjusting them a couple of time each time I go out snowblowing. I don't think I'd want to have to mess around carring different wood spacers and wrenches out with me while I'm snowblowing either.

Good Luck,

John

sabesh

"There's too much blood in my alcohol system"

Reply #9   Nov 8, 2005 8:49 pm
FYI: Three Canadian Craftsman snow blowers have auto/hydro transmissions:

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&categoryId=10155&langId=-1&rrc=1&productId=158231164

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&categoryId=10155&langId=-1&rrc=1&productId=158345637

I'm seriously considering the 11.5HP/30" and 13.5HP/27" models. These are the only snow blowers I can find with Briggs & Stratton OHV Intek snow engines. Has anyone had any experience with these models? Thanks.

drumsonly2002

Reply #10   Nov 8, 2005 11:45 pm
I seen the 13/27 B&S at Sears last Friday. Seems like they put some nice features on that blower. With the 13/27 it should blow snow exceptionally well. Looks like their flagship of their blower line. It was well balanced and easy to push (on the showroom floor). The chute control was smooth, almost as good as the Toro, but Toro's chute control is the best.
LordVader

Reply #11   Nov 10, 2005 11:56 pm
You go from Honda to a Sears?

You will be a satisfied as eating at a "greasy spoon" than you would like to admit.

sabesh

Reply #12   Nov 11, 2005 11:50 am
LordVader,

I believe that Drumsonly is on a budget like myself. Here's what I think:

Honda --> Good, but over my budget (need at least a 10.5HP)

Ariens --> Loud Tecumseh OHV engines; To pricey for the features it has; Steel substitute for non-critical parts doesn't impress me and they are over priced compared to the equivalent HP models from other brands. Toro and Craftsman models which have plastic have been great over a number of years as per owner reviews at epinions.com

Simplicity --> Truly a good blower with a good price point, but not widely available in Canada.

Toro --> Good choice, but I'm looking for a B&G OHV engine.

Craftsman --> Chockful of features, great price, Sears service, same as the reliable Husqvarna brand (AYP/Electrolux). Despite people knocking Craftsman/AYP here, long term owner reviews at epinions indicate they are no different from Honda, Ariens & Toro in terms of reliability.

Bolens / Yardman (MTD) --> Good choices and have great chute control rivaling Toro. Affordable and easily available here in Canada.

I've never owned a blower before, but the above is what I've gathered from reading up extensively and looking around the stores.

Cheers, Sabesh.

drumsonly2002

Reply #13   Nov 11, 2005 1:30 pm

The Sears 13hp, steer able blower appears like a great unit but my gut tells me to buy a steer able Toro first. Mind you, the Sears blower looks like one of the best they ever offered and I am sure it's a great machine.   What I really like about the Toro, believe it or not, is the "plastic chute". No painting, snow doesn't stick to it. Plus in 10 years, no rust. The gearbox is heavier than most other brands, thus less sheer pin issues. The flagship Sears blower looks like an excellent unit and is a bit tempting, but I like the build of the Toro better. I appreciate the goodies Sears put in the  27" 13 OHV Briggs & S. blower. Sears has great service also. Nonetheless, my first choice for new  was the  Ariens 24" 7hp, but decided against it as my driveway is over 300' and 11.5' wide.  Thus the 28" Toro is the next choice. I like the Toro 6000 but after cutting a blown down tree on my property yesterday,  my bad back is telling me the steer able Toro.  I love Honda and will but one if a used one at the right price, but then again my back is telling me why not go steer able with Toro. At the moment got a 20 year old Craftsman I pulled out of a shed at my father's place, and decided to rebuild it if time permits. If I can get it working, use that and save for the Toro. So after reading many posts, and reflecting on what is what, the Toro keeps popping into the picture. Also, can anyone tell me how to post a picture as I'd like to show some snow pics in front of my house? Thanks for the replies.

sabesh

Reply #14   Nov 11, 2005 2:18 pm
Drumsonly: I considered the Toro as well, but I'm leaning towards the B&S OHV engines as I need something a bit quiter since I'll be blowing snow early in the morning after coming home from work (2am). The Toro is  tempting as my local dealer (Cliff's lawn) is offering the 1028LXE for $2000 + taxes delivered and gassed with a don't-pay-until-June option. However, the Craftsman with it's auto tranny and 13HP B&S OHV engine for the same price is even more tempting (actually $100 less).

You can upload your photos to this site:

http://www.photobucket.com

Then you can post the URL of the uploaded photo using the image button on the reply/post window here (third button from right). Cheers, Sabesh.

Replies: 5 - 14 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42