Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > painting snow blower - impeller removal?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jonnyboost

painting snow blower - impeller removal?
Original Message   Oct 24, 2005 7:33 pm
hello everyone.

ive got a rusty blower housing on a 1998 MTD 2 stage  snow blower.  i want to sand the inside and then repaint.  the only problem is i can't figure out how to remove the inpeller and auger assembly so i can get at all of the blower housing.  i have the sides of the auger free but im not sure exactly how to go about removing the impeller.

-how do i remove those spring pins just before the impeller?

-or do i have to dissassemble the gear assembly to get the auger and impeller out?

any help would be appreciated...thanks for helping out an old man,

jon

Replies: 6 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
jonnyboost

Re: painting snow blower - impeller removal?
Reply #6   Nov 1, 2005 5:37 pm
thanks for all the info RalphS,

i ended up taking the easy way out and just wire brushed and sanded down all the rough spots.  then shot it with some primer and top coat.  it actually came out looking pretty good and its now lubed up and ready for the white stuff.  thanks for all your help

jon l

helix_guy

Reply #7   Nov 8, 2005 3:43 pm
I have used a product at Home depot called Stripese, It takes any paint off right down to bare metal in a few seconds. I used it on my Chrysler vans roof. it went reight down to bare metal before my eyes. then you use a neutralizer spray, wipe it down and prime it, and repaint. came out like a factory paint job.
I have a question. I am rebuilding a Bolens 4021 2 stage snowblower. same probem, I think there are shear pins in the second stage shaft, that if I drive them out I should be able to get the whole thing out. I need the front gear box. the gears are gone. I was given the following MTD part numbers, 1720933, and 1740468 as replacement parts. I'm not sure if these are really the replacement parts or not. Any one got a 4021 gear box they want to sell? I removed the side impeller mount bolts, and the 2 stud bots on the pully in front of the engine. Still won't budge. I think there are 3 more bolts in front of that where it enters the second stage auger housing and the shaft goes through a beaing, I need to remove. Once I get it out, if the two part numbers are correct, then I can repair the gear box. Am I heading in the right direction.-Steve
LordVader

Reply #8   Nov 10, 2005 11:58 pm
It's an MTD, and you care to make it look good why?
Replies: 6 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42