Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 2005 Models with smaller shear pins

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
hereafter2

2005 Models with smaller shear pins
Original Message   Oct 31, 2005 12:53 am
I just purchased a 2005 Yard Man snow thrower model 31AE5KLF801.  (9.5 HP Tecumseh, two-stage)   Bought it for the trigger steering and the joystick chute control features.

I went to buy some (extra) shear pins today at HD and could only find 4 packs of the shear pins (bolts) for 2004 and older models.  I purchased them anyway assuming the differences were neglible (nut versus cotter pin).  Turns out the 2005 MTD family of brands downsized their shear pins going from 5/16" to 1/4".

They call these new shear pins a "tool less replacement" because instead of a nut, a cotter pin is used.  I'm concerned that these smaller shear pins will be more prone to breakage.  In addition, I have concerns that the shear pin was downsized to protect a gearcase / auger shaft that is weaker than their predessessors.

Are my concerns warranted, or am I overreacting?

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42